Pediatrics Community
Bad Circumcision?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Bad Circumcision?

My 2 year old son was circumcised at birth but he has soo much extra skin covering the head of his penis that he doesn't appear to be circumcised.  At just about every check up he's been to his doctor has had to pull the skin down because it begins to adhere to the edge of the head of the penis.  I always pull the skin down and clean his penis during diaper changes.  I even put A&D ointment on the head of his penis to keep the skin from adhering to the tip but it happens anyways.  At his 2 year check up he saw a different doctor at the same practice and she thought he was uncircumcised until we told her.  Then she said that he would, "grow into it."  Does this seem right?  
My son was 4 weeks premature and could not be circumcised until he was 2 year old.  As like you I thought the doctor left alot of skin behind. However, that was not the case. Even little boys get erections and I believe this is what your doctor was talking about. My son is now 4 years old and he has definetly "GROWN" into his "extra skin". I would not worry about it at all. You will also see depending on if his body temperature is cold or hot or somewhere inbetween, he will have more or less "extra skin".
My son has the same issue- but we took him to a pediatric urologist who suggested he have surgery. I am traumatized by this. I was wondering what you did with your son?
That's only part of what your doctor meant. If a boy is circumcised, when he grows up the penis will grow into the loose skin - possibly to the point where there is not enough to cover the entire thing. This was very frustrating to me, when erections drew the skin really tight as I became a teenager, but I've spoken with others who have had it worse to the point where erections were painfully tight, or even a fair amount of skin from the scrotum was pulled up the penis.

Doctors haven't quite gotten the message from some of us grown men complaining about this. It's still unnecessary surgery, and they shouldn't be doing it.