Bone scan of 9yr old that of 12 year old
My 9 year old son just had a bone age scan done and the results are those of a 12 year old.  Doctor said the grow plates are still open.  What prompted this was my wife noticed a few pubic hairs on him.

A few years back he went to an endocrinologist and all results were good.  We have an endocrinologist appointment for him next week.

What can we expect?  What causes this and what can be done.  He is currently about 4'9"
There used to be a Pediatric Endocrinology expert forum on Mh but I believe it has closed now . .They will probably test him again for his b and see how he is doing the fact they said the growth plates were open was a good sign.. Let us know what the endo says ..we get many questions like yours and I have asked for another forum to be opened if possible  
Although the forum is  closed now, this link form MH may help you         www.medhelp.org/posts/Pediatric...-/advanced-bone-age/.../722507
Than you for your response, I will update you after we have more news.
Thank you we would like to hear what they say ...good luck
The doctor suggested we go for an MRI to rule out anything such as tumors that may be having the effect of increased growth.  At the same time while he is sedated for that, they are going to do some sort of test using an IV to check and see if indeed it is an early onset of puberty.  Not sure exactly what it is but he said that the give him something to release puberty hormones.  This helps determine I guess if the are present?  If the test is positive he will suggest lupron shots to hold off puberty.
Thank you for the information , it all makes sense ..there is some controversy over Lupron  it maybe good to ask questions of the doctor further, the testing will give you answers.
My son just had a bone scan and his pedi said his read that he was 12. He's 8. He has also starting sprouting hair under his arms and in the pubic area. His pedi is referring us out to a specialist for additional testing and blood work. She said he should not show stages of puberty this early.

I'm worried and hope it's not a serious issue. But you are not alone in this. I will keep you posted as we learn more.
@Msmooku  Please keep me posted.  We taking my son for an MRI and some blood tests in about a week.  They will have to sedate him which is probably for the best.