Pediatrics Community
Constipated Crying Newborn (please help)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

My newborn will not stop crying. She is constipated. I am a breastfeeding mother and have a very strict high in fiber diet... I eat bran cereal, drink prune juice, and snack throughout the day on high in fiber & Omega 3 granola bars... Why is my baby still not having any bowel movements?
Any suggestions on how to help get things going?
Drink plenty of water, , ask the Doctor if its okay to give her some boiled/sterilised water slightly ,sweetened, if she isnt havent any bowel movements best to speak to the Doctor .
Thank you, I took her to the E.R. at 9pm the 19th (last night) Now it is 4:16am and she still hasn't had a bowel movement on her own. All they did at the hospital was give her a glycerin suppository, that provided instant relief but I was hoping for a long term fix. I will call her pediatrician on Monday (once office opens from weekend break) and definitely ask about the water. Thank you again for the help.
Did the dr confirm she is constipated?  It is very unusual for a bf baby to be constipated.
(i'm just asking b/c my breastfed son didn't have a bowel movement for a day or two and was super fussy; i thought he was constipated but it turned out he wasn't getting enough to eat.  I started supplementing with formula [much to my sadness] and he did a complete 180. He was 6 w/o at the time and apparently going thru a growth spurt.

BTW, the Maternal and Child board is more active; you'll probably get more replies there.
Good luck!
My BF baby (when I was breastfeeding) was also crying a lot and he also wasn't getting enough to eat.  We also had to supplament with formula but if he is constipated my doctor told us to try and give him 1.5 ounces of water and if that doesn't work to get some prune apple juice made by gerber and to give that to him in 1.5 ounces.  
I am with the other ladies...The first few days we were home from the hospital my daughter was having some trouble nursing and was terribly fussy.  Although if the suppository helped it would seem to be constipation.  Sorry i'm not much help, but i wish you the best!!!
ny dr told me to ook prunes in water and give 2oz  to baby. it really helped
Try a little (1 tsp) Karo syrup (light) in 2oz of breastmilk/formula twice a day...it works for my little one...she goes every other day which is fine according to her doc!!

Hope yourlittle one ets some relief soon!!
Hey doll! No, the doc said it probably wasn’t constipation… She said it is normal for a breastfed baby to go maybe even once a week. She said “The breast milk is just so perfect that sometimes there is nothing to waste. That just confuses me more because when they used a suppository in the hospital, she went a ton. Kinda like KylesMom09 said, it would probably be constipation if the suppository worked. Hmm… Now I’m super confused. But I do know that she is getting enough. She sometimes chokes because the flow of milk is so heavy. She has also been packing on the pounds. Hehe She’s a hefty baby.  Thanks for the comment. Lots of Love
I did try some dark Karo syrup and she has had a couple bowel movements. I’m just hoping she stays regular now. :)
Thank you for telling me about the Maternal and Child board. :)