Pediatrics Community
DAUGHTER AGE 5YRS FAINTING BLUE LIPS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

DAUGHTER AGE 5YRS FAINTING BLUE LIPS

My 5yr old daughter has had 4 episodes of fainting the first two been the worst i was called to school as she fainted when standing (not doing anything energetic) the teacher noticed blue around her mouth i took her to gp and while waiting in waiting room she was on my knee very pale(grey in colour face and lips and blue around her mouth she passed out in my arms and was unconcious for around 20mins the doctors lay her on bed and rang ambulance her face was grey in colour and lips the same colour as her face. We arrived at ae and admitted for the night to monitor she had bloods took and ecg and oxygen and also tests to check epilepsy all ov which were fine oxygen was slightly low at times. We left with a 48hr ecg connected to her when we returned the 48hr ecg was checked aqnd couldnt find anything.this happened jan 2011 we left after been told there is no explanation to what has happened and it may never happen again. Untill last wedensday i was called to school as my daughter had fainted in class when i arrived she was in the recovery posicion looking pale but not unconcious and not grey like the first and second time and was advised by staff that lips where blue and dry. i took her back to ae on the journey there she was in my arms couldnt really talk and looking unwell once arriving at ae she came to life agaain wanting to play typical. We then had tests agin ecg which was fine oxygen was fine and blood pressure the doctor listened to her heart and said no murmers. We left with the result as a classical faint? and may never happen again till today just over a week later i got a phone call from the school she had fainted again same as last week still concious and she said everything goes blurry and cloudy ambulance came and she had ecg in the ambulance the paramedic advise she has irregular heart beat???? she didnt look well all the way to hospital but once again when we arrive she wants to play and seems herself we saw 2 doctors 1 ov which we saw last week and a new 1 and also a specialist who do another ecg which looked fine and oxygen fine and blood pressure fine so they still saying classical faint. They do seem confussed with whats happening and wondering whether it could be hormonal problems as she has a pale patch on her skin on inside of leg and also inside elbow. Another thing i should mentions is we where on holiday 29th aug when we arrived home she had tonsilitis she has had 4 lots of antibiotic and gp wont give anymore as it isnt making any better the back of her throat is just about closed this is a long time now we have been transfered to ent outpatiants appointment 6th dec to see what to do she is normal fit and well and never complains doing really well in school she does snore in bed and has done for as long as i can remember and sneezes often probably 6 to 7 times when she wakes up every day she does also have quiet a few nose bleeds but they dont last long. I am really concerned about my daughter and would appreciate any help or advice any1 can give
I can understand how worried you must be about your daughter,what comes to mind immediately is 'seizures' and possible hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) Fainting is a sudden loss of oxygen to the brain .ask the Doctor about possible epilepsy ..has she any fever when she faints ?. ,
Breath holding can cause seizures these are seizures they could have when upset ..they do turn blue.. does any of that make sense ..?
Hi thankyou for your advice my daughter had an eeg with the flashing lights to rule out epilepsy and the results showed fine no problem at all. also regular tested for blood sugar which is normal yesterday it was 6.3 and always fine. Everytime it happens she is happy and not upset also doesnt hold her breath it just happens one minute she will be fine and the next she feels unwell and the colour drains from her face and she faints. it is such a mystery but its the not knowing whats more worrying
also she has no fever when these episodes happen
Yes I can understand your concern I will continue doing some research see comes up that may be a cause .I see that the paramedic said she has an irregular heart beat at that time in the ambulance maybe she gets some arrythmia ,we have a forum here deals with that wonder if they would have any ideas .check it out
Sorry it comes under Heart Rythm forum...check it out