Pediatrics Community
Developmental delays in 12 month old baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

I am father to a son who is going to turn 1 year old in the next 5 days :) I have concerns about his developmental delays that I am trying to find answers to.

Even though he is 12 months old now he still doesn't crawl or get up and sit on his own. And just one month back or so he started rolling over from his back to his tummy. Before that he couldn't do that either.

The time we started to get concerned was when he was about 5 and a half months old. He didn't support himself using his legs when we used to make him stand. When my wife showed concern, at first I thought it was nothing and told her we would take her to a doctor and get an opinion. We did that and the doctor said that it was a developmental delay and asked us certain questions and told us to get a CT Scan done. We did and the scan turned out to be normal. We then took him to another doctor who examined him and said he has hypertonia and that he requires physiotherapy. I thought this doctor and the other one were suspecting cerebral palsy so I asked him if it was a possibility and he said it is possible but that the child needs to be older to be able to confirm if whether he has cerebral palsy. But this initial problem disappeared completely in a matter of weeks. At around the age of 6 and a half months, we got him a walker and he instantly got hooked to it. Initially he didn't do anything in it but in a week he was running around the whole house lol.

We took him for physiotherapy for around 10 sessions and the therapist had mentioned he had spasticity. That's another thing that hinted cerebal palsy but I couldn't confirm it.

And yes, he also has nystagmus which was present during birth. I was not aware of such a thing so for a long time I thought it was normal but my wife insisted it wasn't and when he was 9 months old we talked to his primary physician regarding this and he told us it's nystagmus. I don't know if this could have any connections to the physical delays.

Now as far as his mental activity goes. He is very curious and likes to move around in his walker exploring everything. He laughs, smiles and babbles. Doesn't babble that often though. But if I babble to him he does usually reciprocal. We were able to teach him certain commands. Like whenever we ask him to clap his hands, he starts clapping his hands. Then there is this thing we say to him which goes like 'aawa aawa aawa' . There is a particular song, whenever we sing it to him, he shakes his head. Then there is another song to which he shakes his hands. He likes to look at himself in the mirror. He combs his hair. And loves combing his hair while looking at himself in the mirror. He knows what an air conditioner remote control does but whenever the on button doesn't work, he looks at the air conditioner and tries pressing it again. As far as mental development is concerned, I feel he is pretty normal but I honestly don't know about the milestones pertaining to a child's mental skills.

I'd like to know if anyone here has any idea what this could be? Could this be cerebal palsy. If it can be, can children with CP at his age run in walkers like he does? He also has no problems sitting however he cannot get up on his own. Also is there is disease/disorder that's usually associated with Nystagamus?

Regards,
Naif
Naif,

A friend of mine read your post and felt I might be able to offer some advice to you and your wife.....
I am not a doctor, just a mom and I have a similar story......
I have a (now) six year old son, he was a premature baby and was developmentally delayed in many of the areas you describe. He was hypertonic and was showing signs of right sided hemepligia early on; he had spasticity in his right arm and leg muscles, he also had problems with his right eye although this wasn't determined until later. He was only able to sit unaided at twelve months but was unable to get himself up into a sitting position until much later. He didn't crawl properly until 18 months and didn't walk unaided until he was two and a half, climbing the stairs took even longer. He was however able to scoot around in a walker before his first birthday though and could walk holding hand with us at 18 months, it was independent gross motor that caused him problems. He received some physio in those first 18 months.
When he was 18 months old we moved from the UK to Canada where he was followed by early intervention services, at about 2 1/2 he was officially diagnosed with cerebral palsy. Around this time we noticed his fine motor skills were delayed too.
In my son's case he does have some other medical issues, he has hydrocephalus and is on the autism spectrum but the issues I have discussed in this post were primarily caused by his cerebral palsy. Today he does extremely well, he still has a few issues with his right leg that he requires routine botox treatments and physio for and isn't at the level of his peers when it comes to sports but he runs, climbs, swims and enjoys pretty much most physical activities a six year old boy would.
So in answer to your question, yes it is very much a possibility that your son  has cerebral palsy and I would advise you to continue with his physiotherapy, it really does make a difference. It is unlikely any one will be able to give you a firm diagnosis at this point. Be proactive though and make sure you keep addressing any developmental concerns with his doctor and ask for a referral for early intervention services.
Best wishes.