Pediatrics Community
Developmental delays in 12 month old baby
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Developmental delays in 12 month old baby

I am father to a son who is going to turn 1 year old in the next 5 days :) I have concerns about his developmental delays that I am trying to find answers to.

Even though he is 12 months old now he still doesn't crawl or get up and sit on his own. And just one month back or so he started rolling over from his back to his tummy. Before that he couldn't do that either.

The time we started to get concerned was when he was about 5 and a half months old. He didn't support himself using his legs when we used to make him stand. When my wife showed concern, at first I thought it was nothing and told her we would take her to a doctor and get an opinion. We did that and the doctor said that it was a developmental delay and asked us certain questions and told us to get a CT Scan done. We did and the scan turned out to be normal. We then took him to another doctor who examined him and said he has hypertonia and that he requires physiotherapy. I thought this doctor and the other one were suspecting cerebral palsy so I asked him if it was a possibility and he said it is possible but that the child needs to be older to be able to confirm if whether he has cerebral palsy. But this initial problem disappeared completely in a matter of weeks. At around the age of 6 and a half months, we got him a walker and he instantly got hooked to it. Initially he didn't do anything in it but in a week he was running around the whole house lol.

We took him for physiotherapy for around 10 sessions and the therapist had mentioned he had spasticity. That's another thing that hinted cerebal palsy but I couldn't confirm it.

And yes, he also has nystagmus which was present during birth. I was not aware of such a thing so for a long time I thought it was normal but my wife insisted it wasn't and when he was 9 months old we talked to his primary physician regarding this and he told us it's nystagmus. I don't know if this could have any connections to the physical delays.

Now as far as his mental activity goes. He is very curious and likes to move around in his walker exploring everything. He laughs, smiles and babbles. Doesn't babble that often though. But if I babble to him he does usually reciprocal. We were able to teach him certain commands. Like whenever we ask him to clap his hands, he starts clapping his hands. Then there is this thing we say to him which goes like 'aawa aawa aawa' . There is a particular song, whenever we sing it to him, he shakes his head. Then there is another song to which he shakes his hands. He likes to look at himself in the mirror. He combs his hair. And loves combing his hair while looking at himself in the mirror. He knows what an air conditioner remote control does but whenever the on button doesn't work, he looks at the air conditioner and tries pressing it again. As far as mental development is concerned, I feel he is pretty normal but I honestly don't know about the milestones pertaining to a child's mental skills.

I'd like to know if anyone here has any idea what this could be? Could this be cerebal palsy. If it can be, can children with CP at his age run in walkers like he does? He also has no problems sitting however he cannot get up on his own. Also is there is disease/disorder that's usually associated with Nystagamus?

Regards,
Naif