Pediatrics Community
Eczema or is it scabies????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Eczema or is it scabies????

My daughter has dealt with eczema for many years.  For the past 6 months she has had a lot of small bumps on her arms that almost look like tiny white-heads. I had her using anti-acne wash on it until our doctor said it was eczema and prescribed a stronger cream to treat it.  My daughter has developed a habit of picking at and scratching these pimple like bumps, although she said they really dont itch. She is getting scarred from this.  Our doctor now says she needs to be treated for scabies.  She sleeps in the same room with her father and I, and sometimes in our bed.  If it was scabies...shouldnt we have it too after over 6 months of this???  We have treated with the permethrin and washed everything, but I still wonder if it is all for nothing.  Any advice?
could she be allergic to sun even? Does she seem to have sensitivity to sun ?
is the rash just on her arms?
How old is she?
I would get second opinion because you are right if you sleep in same area then I would think you would have them also.
i wish i had better answers for you.
Could she be allergic to something?
The rash is just on her arms. She is 11 years old.  Our doctor said she was treating for scabies "just in case" as she cant understand why the eczema medicated lotion has not cleared it up.  I dont think it is scabies because it has been going on since spring time and she is the only one that has the problem. And it is only on her arms, not the classic places scabies would be. She also does not have the unbearable itching that I read about scabies. I cant think of anything she could be allergic to, unless something in the cream that was prescribed for the eczema. My husband's family has a history of eczema and I really think that is the root of her rash. I am going to request a referral to a specialist. I am just searching for answers, as we will likely have a few weeks before getting in with a specialist. We need answers.
I have this cream My sister gave me from dermatologist and its for eczema i get patches on my neck and It clears it up fast Its called VANOS its an ointment type  cream Not sure what guidelines would be for kids but maybe ask Dr about this med I am serious when I say It cures overnight and I have used it before on my 8 yr old also when she gets a mild rash Its Gone fast
It could be worth a try to ask for it :)
I will ask about the ointment. I cant wait to get an appointment with the dermatologist to get this figured out.  The ointment they gave us at the family doctor did not clear it up. We went ahead with the permethrin treatment, even though we are pretty sure it is Not scabies, and there has been no improvement.  Maybe the VANOS will be the answer.  Thanks.
As far as a sun allergy....I dont think so.  The rash is only on her arms. She is in the sun all summer at the pool and still only her arms are an issue.  She tans easily and doesnt seem to have any problems anywhere else. But it is something to discuss with the doctor. I am open to anything that could resolve this for my daughter. I dont want her arms scarred for life.
I agree I wouldnt want my child to be scarred either Hopefully Dermatologist will help more than Dr that said it was scabies because I would think if it was you would have it also.
Good Luck and please let me know outcome. When will she see Dermatologist?