Pediatrics Community
Fairly high fever and cutting teeth?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Fairly high fever and cutting teeth?

My son is 1 year old (13 months) and I know he is cutting teeth!  He started running a fever this evening.  I took it under the arm and it was 101.00.  I have always been told to add a degree when you take it under the arm so that would mean his actually body temp was 102.00.  My question is could cutting teeth cause a fever that high or is it likely to be something else.  He is not coughing nor does he have a runny nose or a rattle in his chest.  He has no other symptoms accept for constantly chewing on things and sucking on things which he only does when he is cutting teeth!  Could his one year molars be causing him enough trouble to give him a fever that high?  I'm just not sure.
Is he eating okay, wetting okay, it has been very hot in most states, is he drinking plenty of fluids, if you feel he may be dehydrated get some pedialyte and give him that,keep him out of the sun .Indeed it could be his teeth however if he seems worse has other symptoms take him to see a doctor . good luck
Thank you!  He never ran a fever today but he did get fussy a few times throughout the day so I gave him some tylenol because I figured his gums were hurting!  He is eating pretty well and he always loves his drink.  I am trying to give him more water than anything right now especially since it is so hot outside but I try not to go out much with the kids especially!  Thanks again and I hope his fever doesn't come back!
Glad hes doing okay if the fever continues its a good thing to get him checked out, in high temps even our homes get too hot, keep up with the liquids ..
Thanks!  He does love to have something to drink all the time and I (especially when he had a fever) don't like to give him too much milk!  I like to give him more water than anything but I do give him some juice too!  So far today also he hasn't had a fever so I am hoping he is done with that!  I will definitely call the doctor if it does come back and/or continue.  He seems to be in a good mood most of the day.  He gets cranky periodically but each day is different.  I'm pretty sure he is cutting his one year molars because he is always wanting something to chew on and I don't mean something big!  He wants something he can fit in his mouth so he can push it to the back and chew on it with his gums!  Of course I only give him food when he wants to fit it all in his mouth that way he doesn't choke on a toy or something.  I just hope his gums don't start hurting too bad!
awwww cutting teeth hurts ....I think you can get some soothing gel to put on them if they look too sore ..I agree its always a problem when they are into that chewing stage ,you have to watch them all the time ..everything is popped into their mouths.they will be through soon ...and the tooth fairy will be visiting ....
lol yeah, My daughter should be hitting the loose tooth stage here in the next year or so!  She is 5 now.  I hope that goes well when it starts lol!  Thanks again for all your info!