Pediatrics Community
Foetal VACTERL ASSOCIATION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Foetal VACTERL ASSOCIATION

Patient Name : Anita
Age : 37 yrs
History
1st Child - on 23 Jan 2001, Caegerian due to placenta previa and no labur pain
2nd - 6-8 week Missed abortion in 2009 due to no foetal development
Present Case
Pregnant for 3rd time.
LMP – 20 Dec 12
Double marker test – Negative
other problem - Cholesistitis
At 18 week of pregnancy while undergoing ultrasound, the doctor told me that the foetus has flowing two problems:-
(a)     Single umbilical artery, AF adequate

(b) Single Hemiverteba - thoracolumbar spine, with mild scolisis

(c) Lt kidney :- Moderate hydronephrosis and hydro ureter, marked clubbing of cayces, poor corticomedullary diffrentiation with increased renal echogenicity, thin renal parenchyma
(d) Small echogenic intracardiac focus
(e) Humerus and femur between 5-50 percentile - not very significant

Request advise on:-
(a)     Wheter to continue with the pregnancy
(b)Likely problems for the baby in futurtre.
Hi Anita,

I just saw your post from May 1, 2013 and wanted to reach out to see how you are doing with your pregnancy.

I am 36yrs old and I have VACTERL Syndrome.

For those who don't know, VACTERL is an acronym. Each letter represents a part of the body that can be affected. In the beginning it was called VATER Syndrome but the ‘C’ for Cardiac and the ‘L’ for Limb was added so it’s called VACTERL Syndrome. The letters stand for V-Vertebrae, A-Anus, C-Cardiac, T-Trachea, E-Esophagus, R-Renal (kidneys) and L-Limb.

I was born with the V, A, C, R and L.  I was born with Congenital Scoliosis, Hemi-Vertebra, a Hypoplastic 4th rib on the left side, Dislocated Hips, Imperforate Dislocated Anus, Recto-Vagina Fistula, Ventricular Septal Defect (dime-sized hole in my heart), Single Functioning Left Kidney and Ureters were not located on the bladder where they should be, Radial Club Hand w/4 fingers and no thumb, Calf Muscles missing in my right leg, and my Right leg is shorter than my left leg.

I’ve had 23 surgeries. I still have some issues that I deal with mostly my back and spine.

I don’t know how severe your baby’s problems are. I just wanted to let you know that there are people with VACTERL who are also dealing with this. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Also, there are several groups on Facebook for parents with VACTERL children. It would be a great place to talk with other parents and ask any questions you might have.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Sincerely,

CharlieRae