Pediatrics Community
Four months old suffering from encephalomalacia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Four months old suffering from encephalomalacia

i have a 4 months old son who has been diagnosed with extensive encephalomalacia involving almost the entire cortex and the white matter of both cerebral hemisphere as also the basal ganglia with smaller areas of encephalomalacia in the supero medial thalami(MRI findings).  He is breastfeeding, gaining weight and behaves normally. He was full term but suffered from birth asphyixia and was declared in HIE stage II, the problem occured due to prolonged delivery(around 10 hours). please suggest me the best treatment for my son. Thank you very much.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
I am sorry ,this is very complex , it would be better to discuss this with your Doctor , has he suggested any treatment to you ? We also have a Neurology forum on Med Help you may want to put your question there...good luck
Blank
We had premature twins at 25weeks. Our daughter is doing quite well, but our son had a tough time in the NICU. He got very sick while in the NICU and his kidneys shut down completely for 8 days. We were told he would not survive, but miraculously he did. During an MRI to check a vocal cord issue (his right vocal cord is partially paralyzed) it was determined that he suffered a stroke while he was so very ill and now suffers from sever encephalomalacia. At least 50% of his brain is affected and all areas. This was as shocking to the doctors and nurses as it was for us because he behaves perfectly normal. He is almost 5months old now, but he was premature so his milestones are based on his adjusted age. We met with a neurologist and the prognosis was very discouraging. We met with a developmental doctor while in the hospital and we have our next appointment as an outpatient on Dec 7th. How are things going with your son? Have you found anything helpful that we should look into?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pediatrics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...