Frequent urination
My 6 year old son has a need to urinate frequently. He complaints of on some occasions burning and having a strong urge to urinate but is not able to. He needs to go every 15 minutes. He has had this problem for a while but didnt take much notice until he would urinate about 20 times a day..I have taken him to a local paediatrician who ordered me to take my son to get a urine and blood test as he thought he may have diabetes or an UTI although the results came back all clear....
Can someone help me??!!
I forgot to mention he does not drink water excessively...
My son also had this problem when he was in the 2nd grade.( 7 years old). Because he would need to go to the bathroom about every 30 min, it was very disruptive at school. His doctor referred him to a Urologist. The Urologist ran some tests, including a kidney sonogram. Everything was normal. I cant remember exactly what it is called, but his Urologist explained that this was a common, benign condition that will resolve on its own. Your son DOES have a genuine feeling of urgency to go to the bathroom, so you shouldn't try to tell him that he is imagining it (not that I am suggesting you would). Anyway, it can be related to stress,anxiety, new situations or changes in schedule, even overstimulation and excitement. Believe it not, one of the best things to do is to make sure he stays hydrated, if he goes more when he does go, he will be less likely to feel more frequent urgency with less amount of urine output. If there are stressful situations affecting him, try to make sure he has some relaxation time, or quiet time to spend with his family. After about 3 to 5 months, the frequent urination symptoms dissapeared for my son. I hope this helps. Take care.
MM
Thank you so much for your comment. Yes it is very disruptive at school and my sons teacher was very concerned about this.
I will be taking him back to the doctor to get referred to a urologist just to make sure........