Pediatrics Community
How does a 4 yr old get a vaginal strep A infection?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

I really need to know the answer to this question, and everyone I talk to at her pediatrician's offices starts acting funny when I ask questions like they don't want to tell me something. She's had this yellow nasty discharge leaking out of her since Jan 9th 2011 when her dad brought her home red and very swollen in her private areas. It's 2/28/11 now and Nobody has acted like it was anything to be concerned about. I've taken her to the ER twice (got a SANE exam) and the dr's office 3 times. The amount of discharge got worse and worse to the point it was filling the whole white part of her panties. She's been very red and irritated down there and keeps getting these painful fluid filled bumps on her vagina, butt, and inner thighs also. She even has woken up with peeling, raw skin and tiny tears on her vaginal opening and anus that I had to dab blood away from. She wakes up at night crying that it hurts down there... and no one was telling me anything or was testing her for anything.

She told me last month that her dad was sexually abusing her (in a 4 yr old's way... which is why I totally believe her b/c of how she described it) and I've suspected it for a long time, but I couldn't prove anything before and she never would talk about it before this year (after she came back swollen and having this discharge and bumps). Yes, CPS and the police are involved and I haven't let him near her since, but b/c she won't talk to them. Furthermore, b/c he was careful and smart enough to not cause any physical damage they can see (no tearing and hymen intact)... everything's at a stand still.

Today her dr office called and told me that the results came back on the culture of the discharge and urine test I MADE them take last week, and they said she has a strep A infection INSIDE her vagina... the same kind that causes strep throat. When I asked how the hell that could even happen, the nurse hesitated and finally said that she must've had strep throat and contaminated herself by "touching" her self.... Are you kidding me? First of all, she hasn't been sick since 2010 and she's never had strep throat in her life, and I haven't had it since she's even been born... and she doesn't freakin play with herself. The nurse told me there is no way to prove that she contracted it from any kind of sexual contact. Can any medical professional out there tell me what they would do in this situation if it were their child? They did call her in some penicillin, but I want to know how this could happen.... any and all possible explanations would be appreciated... or if you think it could be more and that she needs to be tested for something else entirely. The bumps freak me out too. They look like big acne whiteheads/tiny blisters that pop and heal so quickly (overnight) that by the time I get her to the dr they're always almost completely healed. I want to know if it's something that's not being tested for  that could really harm her left untreated.
It seems to me that you should get more information form the doctor as you know she was sexually abused you need this as evidence , maybe even get a 2nd opinion and give the results to the police /CPS .How long has she been taking the penicillin ? it maybe needs time to work .How is she dealing with the issue of abuse her self is she upset,it may be a good idea to check out about counseling for her .I hope the dear child does well ,this is a horrible trauma she has gone through  .
I'd see if the police wouldn't take an interest in swabbing your ex's mouth for Strep A.  The nurse probably hesitated because she did not know you already suspected sexual abuse, and she didn't know where your exasperation was coming from and didn't want to suggest the worst.
(This is pretty far down the line, but the other thing that might be possible, if there was ever a trial, is to ask your ex under oath if he ever had Strep A in the mouth.  If he says no, subpoena his medical records to see if he was ever treated for it.)
No, the pediatrician's office knew for a month at least that I reported sexual abuse and it is in their records. The reason they were hesitant to say it's a possibility that she caught it from being sexually abused is b/c they said they can't prove she got it that way... which is bs. And yes, she is in specialized trauma counseling. She's doing so much better than expected, but she's been normalized to his abuse b/c it when on for so long to the point she wasn't afraid of him anymore like she was terrified of him before. I couldn't prove anything then and she couldn't talk, so I had to let her keep seeing him.
I doubt her dad would still have the infection. She's had this infection since Jan. 9th (the last time she's seen him) and they're just now putting her on a penicillin after I demanded they get a culture and test it.. almost 2 mths later. I don't think her dad has medical insurance, so if he had Strep A, he would've just ridden it out and taken over the counter cold and pain meds. As for asking him under oath if he had strep in the last few mths... he's a pathological liar and has no qualms about lying under oath... especially when he knows his a** and future are on the line. There's no way for me to prove he had it unless he actually did go to a dr... but he will probably lie and say he never saw a dr. if he has 1/2 a brain.
Just for the benefit of anybody in this group who might jump to conclusions.
I just got back from a visit to my daughter's pediatrician. She is 9 years old and they took swabs but are 99% sure it is strep of throat and her vagina. The pediatrician said this is quite common.
Just some info on vaginal strep it can be caused by soap products in the bath  or that are used in washing the child, so can bladder infection and staph infections.  I know this sounds far fetched but it is true as we all contain these elements in our bodies but at the right balances.  Soap products clogg and surround these and protect them from our bodies natural defences to keep them in check.  Lots of children have had these from Johnston baby products such as Shampoo, bedtime bath etc....It effects the alkaline levels and then  easily grows into infections in areas of mucus membranes such as the vagina, anus, nose, throat, eyes and ears.  This does not happen to all children but it does happen to lots of them .
I just got back from the doctor.  My daughter has strep in her vagina too.  She had a low grade fever about 1 week ago and I noticed her labia was red.  And this week she too has the acne looking spots on her thighs and anus.  She is 3 1/2 and she does explore her private parts and runs around naked all the time.  The doctor told me this is something they see ALL THE TIME!  You just need to chill.  You could have easily missed a low grade fever and also a minor sore throat.  My daughter did not complain of a sore throat at all.   If your daughter is in school or has exposure to children, she could have been exposed to Strep.  Typically, children 3 and under do not get strep so that's why she has not had it before.  My doctor said that in goes right through the body and can end of in the private parts.  I sure hope you didn't jump to conclusions.  Your poor ex-husband.
My 2.5 year old has recently been diagnosed with this as well (throat and has had vaginal discharge).  She's been on antibiotic for 4 days now and she continues to have the discharge. How quickly did everyone's children get over this. By the way she never had a fever and did not complain of a sore throat. I had simply taken her to the MD because of the discharge.
By saying "your poor ex-husband" aren't you jumping to conclusions?  The strep issue aside, she said that her daughter is reporting sexual abuse in a way that would be typical for a 4 year old.