Pediatrics Community
How long should i let my 10 month old cry himself to sleep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

2 days ago my 10 month old son, just started hating to go to bed.  He now cry's constantly.  We've checked that his diaper is dry, he's eaten plenty, and even acts extremely tired. (slouching head, doesn't want to play, doesn't want to stand up, etc.)  So we are pretty convinced that he is really tired, there is nothing wrong, etc.  But we put him down, and he cry's and cry's.  Today he cried for about an hour, and then eventually went to sleep.  Is this bad?  How long should we let him cry it out?  He's obviously really tired, and we feel we may just be giving in to his desire for attention if we pick him up.  But how long is too long to let him 'cry it out'?  Thank you!
Tags: sleep, 10 months, how long, Crying
I know that some women are going to be upset about this, but I am an advocate for letting babies cry it out. It teaches them to self soothe and to fall asleep on their own. At your son's age, if there is nothing else wrong, then the best option would be to let him cry. When I transitioned my son to his crib at 8 months it took two nights of him crying it out (each night seemed unbearably long). After that he would sleep, without waking, 12 hours a night plus naps. I would simply put him in his crib and he would fall asleep. He is now 4 and I have never had any difficulties with him at bed time. If the light is off he knows it's time to sleep and he just goes. If you don't teach your child now, when he is big enough to run around you are going to have a more difficult time getting him to sleep. I think you are doing to right thing....
I agree with Whitney, but its a toiugh call, its is horrble listening to them cry, I dont think its the length of crying , I would pick him up if it becomes shrieking and hysterical, as if he was in pain as he could be,,so if its simply crying ,you'll know the differance ,trust me, leave him be .if it becomes a lot more insistant check him for stomach ache and cholic,