Pediatrics Community
Hypothyroidism and Hyperactivity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Hypothyroidism and Hyperactivity

my 30 months old daughter is very active, easily excitable and exuberant, so I was puzzled to see that her latest blood analysis showed a value of 6.5mU/l which is out of the range 0.5-5mU/l and we were told her thyroid is working slower than normal. According to the definition of Hypothyroidism the child should be lethargic, slow, sleepy and so on but our daughtet is the opposite.  We were given some pills to increase the regime of the thyroid but what I don't understand is the connection between hypothyroidism and her hyperactivity. Anyone has experienced something similar? Any advice/comments appreciated.

Tom