Pediatrics Community
Is it epilepsy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Is it epilepsy?

My daughter is a beautiful, loving, kind, sweet, compassionate 11 year old girl who has never given my husband or myself a moment's grief, but for the last year, a strange thing has been happening with her.  We wonder if it could be a petite mal epileptic episode.  My husband had epilepsy when he was a child but hasn't had it in over 40 years.  My daughter will come to me and ask me a question and will be standing 6 inches away from me, looking me right in the face, and will suddenly stop in the middle of her question and start making a little "mmm mmm" sound and completely zone out.  We have to shout her name to bring her back and then she looks startled and can't remember what she was talking about.  The same thing will happen when I try to talk to her.  I will call her name, and she will acknowledge me, then I will call her over and she will come and look at me.  I will ask if I have her attention, she will say "yes" then when I begin to ask my question or make my comment, she will again zone out and make that little "mmm mmm mmm" sound.  It is very distressing.  I find it it increasing in frequency.  I have asked her if she maybe had something on her mind, or was daydreaming, or anything and she will say "no".  When I have asked her what happened and how she managed to not hear what I had to say, she doesn't have an answer.  Sometimes it will be a simple question, like - "did you do your homework" and she will just zone right out and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times of shouting her name to bring her back to reality.  Is this a medical thing or just a phase?  Too many things on her mind?  Growing up and trying to juggle all the things in her life?  I don't know what to do!  It is a little frightening and I have never heard of this happening before.  When we DO have her attention and ask her a question or ask her to do something, she always complies with a wonderful attitude (she is an extremely happy and compliant child), so I know it is not wilfully defying me.  Sometimes I will just ask how school was today and she will begin an answer and then just zone out like she didn't hear the question.  It happens mostly with me (since I am stay-at-home mom and have most contact with her) but also happens on rare occasions with my husband and my 12 year old son.  It sometimes, but rarely, happens with her friends or at school.

Have you ever heard of this and what can I do about it?

thank you