Pediatrics Community
Karo syrup for Newborn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Karo syrup for Newborn

I have a 2 week old baby boy and he is on Similac advance.  First week was fine and the second week his stool has became hard and clay like.  Doctor said to give him Karo syrup.  I did that with my first son but he was several months old at the time, now 3 yrs od and is a healthy kid.  Im just being a little skeptical about giving a newborn karo syrup in the formula.  Doctor assured me that its ok and will not bring on any stomach issues once hes older.   I know some may say switch formula, but the doctor said to try this first and if does not help then switch.
Any advise for me.
thank you
I had this problem with my 1 year old . However our pediatrician said NO karo syrup. He changed the babies formula. That fixed the problem within 3 days. He said that Karo syrup like honey can cause botchilism in babies. I know that every Dr. says something different but changing formula worked for us. We switched from Similac to Good Start Supreme . Even up until 2 weeks ago if I tried to put him on Similac or Similac advanced ( for older babies)( I get great coupons fromthem in the mail) He would get the worse stomach ache & be constipated for a few days so I quit trying it. I guess we will stick to Good Start 2! ( Good start is supposed to be easier for the babies to digest than any other formula!) Hope this helps!
I would give him  diluted juice instead of Karo syrup i.e  2 oz juice and 2 oz water or change formulas ...the iron in the formula cause  some babies  to constipate
My son is almost 1 year now, but at only a few months old his stools were very hard. My doctor told me to use Karo syrup as well and it worked great!! It is completly safe and very helpful for the baby, literally within the hour!

Best of luck!