Pediatrics Community
Low blood oxygen level on infant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Low blood oxygen level on infant

My daughter is 7 days old. She was delivered via C-Section. We were discharged from hospital normally. We had to go to hospital a day later due to a low body temperature. (the rectal temp was 96 two times). However, after coming to hospital the temp went to normal (above 98 below 99.8). But they discovered that she has low blood oxygen level - when she is deep asleep.

The oxygen level goes down to 87 - 88 and stays there for sometime (around 1 minute or more) when she is in deep sleep. Sometimes she reacts by taking deep breath or moving and brings back the O2 Level back above 90. She is being given 0.1 Oxygen via a tube, and with that small amount of Oxygen she is having her O2 level above 90 even in deep sleep.  

She has no problems other than the number displayed on the monitor for low O2 level. She is alert, feeds well, gained weight and crossed her birth weight (6 pounds 1 ounce), cries normally. The pulmonology specialist did not notice any breathing problems but still not sure what the root cause of the low O2 level is.

No body is able to determine the root cause of this low O2 level. Can you please review this and the tests conducted (below) and give any hints or suggestions?

I would really appreciate and will be grateful for the advice.

The following were the tests conducted and their results.

1) CT Scan [Result: Normal]
2) Echo Cardiogra [Result: Normal]
3) Upper GI test [Result: Gastro reflux]
4) CO2 (electrolyte test) on blood [Result: Normal]
5) Blood count [Result: Normal]
6) Chest X-Ray [Result: Normal]
7) Spinal fluid, urine, blood culture [Result: Normal, but was given antibiotics for 48 hrs till the result came back negative]
Would first like to tell you I am no Doctor, I do have some medical experience , however I think you may want to ask your Doctor for his input...here's what I do know and have looked up Do not get worried until if falls below 90 even 88 is ok. If it is below 88 she will need some oxygen. Some people freak out if it is less than 94 but 94 is still within the normal range.

If your baby has "gunk" in her airways which are small to begin with,she is going to wheeze. She probably would benefit from some inhaled steroid and bronchodilator from a nebulizer. This will help with the inflammation.

You want to watch the baby lips and mouth that they are not turning blue.  Good luck
Thank you Margypops. The doctors have suggested sleep study. It looks like it will be done tomorrow.

They have put her on Air 0.5 L, instead of Oxygen today and her O2 Level keeps going down below 88.
Yes, look into sleep apnea.  My friends with kids that have asthma find that when oxygen levels drop into the mid 80's that this is a medical emergency.  And anything below 90 for an extended period of time is not good. 88 is obviously not good.   They institute breathing treatments to help.  But these are kids with asthma.   So, I'd definately keep on top of this.  You would hate for any brain damage to occur Your daughter's shoots back up if she moves which is good but what if she doesn't?  Scary.  I'm sure you are a nervous wreck monitering her.  Hypoxemia is her diagnosis at this point?
You are very welcome, let us know hos she is doing ...
Thank you all for your suggestions. We got discharged from hospital, apparently doctors think the low oxygen level is due to reflux. So we are giving Zantac to manage it. We got the sleep apnea monitor and the pulse oximeter at home. We never had any alarm on the apnea monitor. But the pulse oximeter shows saturation at 86-90 while the baby is in deep sleep. Doctors are also saying she will outgrow this soon.
I'm sure that is very scary for you.  I'm glad you have the equipment to moniter it easily and closely.  I'm also glad to hear that it is a temporary situation.  All the best to your little girl and you.
Thats good getting a diagnosis makes it easier, good to hear that she will outgrow it ..good luck
Hi ,

My son Aiden was born natural and everything seemed fine until he went to sleep and sounded like he slept with high pitched hiccups all night long.  We eventually found out that he has layrngomalacia which is something he will grow out of by 2 or 3yrs old.  Layrngomalacia causes his 02s to drop while in a deep sleep as well like 83+.  So since how it would only happen during deep sleep when we went to ER where he would wake up everything was normal and they would not admit him or give oxygen for home use etc.  So I found my own ways of helping his o2s.  Repositioning your baby helps immensely.  You can elevate the bed or straighten the neck alignment.  My chiropractor also found his neck was out and his 02s improved by several points...   The essential oils helped too.  Never use only the pure oil make sure it is mixed with  a base oil like almond oil or coconut oil..  I am no Dr and did not feel like I got much help from them so I tried to help him the best I could..  Alot of the meds are for long term use like the steroids given by neb can cause major problems or damage or zantac too..  They wanted to put him on all that and we had the sleep apnea and pulse ox too.  I did not see a difference.  He did better without the meds but remember every kid is different and each situation is different.  All I am saying is you may find better more natural ways which are cost effective and safer for long term..  I hope this helps...