Pediatrics Community
MRSA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

MRSA

Hi, I am a state daycare provider and have a question about a family of four children I watch. I only watch them one weekend out of the month so I can't tell how this started out. The little nine month old girl has red blisters on her genitals, that are open and have drainage, and cries when urinating. Some of these have been open and are starting to pit a little.There is no odor or drainage from anywhere else, and she is not irritated anywhere else other than these blisters. The child had MRSA a few months ago and recieved treatment. When I told the mother that she needed checked by the doctor again she told me that she just had her to the doctor and what she has is a yeast infection. I believe the child might have MRSA again or something else. But I do not think this is a yeast infection at all. Can someone tell me if there is any way to confuse the two, or if there's something else it could be so I could check?
Thanks!
MRSA is caused by a strain of Staphylococcus aureus (S. aureus) bacteria. S. aureus is a common type of bacteria that normally lives on the skin and sometimes in the nasal passages. MRSA refers to S. aureus strains that do not respond to the antibiotics normally used to cure staph infections.

The bacteria can cause infection when they enter the body through a cut, sore, catheter, or breathing tube. The infection can be minor and local (for example, a pimple), or more serious (involving the heart, blood, or bone).

Serious staph infections are more common in people with weak immune systems. This includes patients in hospitals and long-term care facilities and those receiving kidney dialysis.

MRSA infections are grouped into two types:

Healthcare-associated MRSA (HA-MRSA) infections occur in people who are or have recently been in the hospital. Those who have been hospitalized or had surgery within the past year are at increased risk. MRSA bacteria are responsible for a large percentage of hospital-acquired staph infections.
Community-associated MRSA (CA-MRSA) infections are ones that occur in otherwise healthy people who have not recently been in the hospital. The infections have occurred among athletes who share equipment or personal items (such as towels or razors) and children in daycare facilities. Members of the military and those who get tattoos are also at risk. The number of CA-MRSA cases is increasing.

Symptoms  

Staph skin infections cause a red, swollen, and painful area on the skin. Other symptoms may include:

Drainage of pus or other fluids from the site
Fever
Skin abscess
Warmth around the infected area

Symptoms of a more serious staph infection may include:

Chest pain
Chills
Fatigue
Fever
General ill feeling (malaise)
Headache
Muscle aches
Rash
Shortness of breath

Exams and Tests    

Depending on your symptoms, your doctor may recommend the following tests to detect and confirm the bacteria causing the infection:

Blood culture
Culture of the drainage (fluid) from the infection
Skin culture from the infected site
Sputum culture
Urine culture

Treatment  

Draining the skin sore is often the only treatment needed for a local skin MRSA infection. This can be done at the doctor's office.

More serious MRSA infections, especially HA-MRSA infections, are becoming increasingly difficult to treat. Antibiotics that may still work include:

Clindamycin
Linezolid (Zyvox)
Tetracycline (doxycycline)
Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS)
Vancomycin (Vancocin, Vancoled)
It is important to finish all doses of antibiotics you have been given, even if you feel better before the final dose. Unfinished doses can lead to further drug resistance in the bacteria, or can cause an infection that seemed to be cured to return.

Other treatments may be needed for more serious infections. The person will be admitted to a hospital. Treatment may involve:

Fluids and medications given through a vein
Kidney dialysis (if kidney failure occurs)
Oxygen

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well a person does depends on the severity of the infection and their overall health. MRSA-related pneumonia and blood poisoning are associated with high death rates.

Possible Complications    

Serious staph infections may lead to:

Blood poisoning (sepsis)
Cellulitis
Infection of the heart valves (endocarditis)
Pneumonia
Toxic shock syndrome
Organ failure and death may result from untreated MRSA infections.

When to Contact a Medical Professional    

Call your health care provider if:

A wound seems to get worse rather than heal
You have any other symptoms of staph infection
Prevention    Return to top

Careful attention to personal hygiene is key to avoiding MRSA infections.

Wash your hands frequently, especially if visiting someone in a hospital or long-term care facility.
Make sure all doctors, nurses, and other health care providers wash their hands before examining you.
Do not share personal items such as towels or razors with another person -- MRSA can be transmitted through contaminated items.
Cover all wounds with a clean bandage, and avoid contact with other people’s soiled bandages.
If you share sporting equipment, clean it first with antiseptic solution.
Avoid common whirlpools or saunas if another participant has an open sore.
Make sure that shared bathing facilities are clean.

If the child recieved the full course treatment for the MRSA then it wouldn't be MRSA at all, but if the mother stopped the treatment abruptly, that would result to much worse case. Hope this helps..