Pediatrics Community
Maple Syrup smell NOT in Urin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Maple Syrup smell NOT in Urin

I have a 22 month old baby girl who has developed a maple syrup smell within the last 4 -  6 weeks.  At first, I thought it was my imagination or the smell of oatmeal lingering from breakfast.  But it has continued and has be confirmed by a few other people - they also smell this on her.  It is NOT in her urine - just on her.  She is otherwise healthy, thriving and growing well.  She eats well, sleeps well and is very active.  The only other thing that is a bit "odd" is the color of her feces.  Over the last week, the color is a blue-green and fairly "bright".  It almost seems she ate a crayon or something, but that is not the case.  Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Hi, My 17 month old son has also exhibited a maple syrup smell, but like your daughter, it seems to be on him, not from his urine.  I have seen all sorts of articles on Maple Syrup Urine disease, but not much on his situation.  I have noticed it about a half a dozen times of the course of maybe the last 6 or 8 months.  Have you found out anything about your daughter?  Hopefully she is doing fine!
What kind of diapers do you use?