Pediatrics Community
My 11 year old still wets the bed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

My 11 year old still wets the bed

My 11 year old son still wets the bed.  His father and his grandmother on his father's side both wet their beds until they were 11 - 12 years old and my younger brother had this problem until he was in his late teens.  My son still wears a pull up b/c I can't strip the bed every single day.  We have tried going without a pull up thinking that being wet would help wake him up and be more aware, but it doesn't.  I tried waking him up around 11 at night (he goes to bed at 9 and goes to the bathroom just before) to make him go again and most the time he's already wet.  He is a very sound sleeper and with the family history, I've tried to be patient.  I figured if his dad and grandma did it until they were 11 or 12, then I'd hold out and see what happens at that age.  Not sure if I should be concerned as there may be a health issue, or is it just something we will have to deal with and hope he outgrows it eventually?  He doesn't complain of any pain or discomfort and he doesn't go frequently during the day.  

Any suggestions?
Does he drink a lot of liquids at night put a stop to it after the evening meal , tell him he doesnt need to drink a lot and if its soda they definatly make them go more. in fact even the last meal shouldnt be late, I would do away with the pads or pullups, it is enabling the issue and may be he can help you wash the sheets each day, let him take control of his own body , say less and dont feed into it,it gets a lot of attention and there could be reason there Focus on his positive side .