Pediatrics Community
My 5 years old girl had been diagnosed to have Thalassemia minor.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Dear Doctor,

My daughter is 5 years old this year.  Just two days ago, our doctor had confirmed she had thalassemia but not the serious type as her blood test is 11.9 instead of normal kids is 12.

But i am very worry as now she is only 5 years old.  but how about when she grow up become a young lady?  Will she have the same condition like right now?  I worry her condition will get worst later.  Any possibility for this to happen?  What should i need to take note and take care in order to improve her condition as she frequently complaining dizzy.

I am really really sad and worry about her.  Feel so sorry to her.  As i know knew that my mother in law also having this diseases and my husband never told me this until my daughter had been diagnosed to have this disease.  feeling so guilty to my girl.

Pls advise.

rgds,
Sad mum
. The symptoms of thalassemia may be insignificant in a person with a minor form of the disorder. In fact, when the condition is minor, a person may be unaware of the disorder prior to being diagnosed. An individual with a major form of thalassemia may exhibit a variety of symptoms. Weakness and classic symptoms of fatigue, such as low energy and tiredness can be symptoms of thalassemia. Some people may grow so weak they may experience fainting spells.I can understand that you feel sad for you child and the guilt, as it is a gene that is passed on .but you didnt know ,do not blame yourself ., what meds is she taking as the dizziness may be due to them ,ask the Doctor to check her out..
Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully my little girl will grow up healthy each day.
Insignificant my a..! Make sure your daughter gets vitamin B12 and acid folic supplements for the rest of her life, no matter what the Doc tells you. And I am not sure about B6( you might want to do some research about it).

Let us know the outcome , take advice from her doctor ..good luck