Pediatrics Expert Forum
Newborn mouth chattering

This forum is for questions and support regarding Pediatrics. Topics include, but are not limited to: Cancer, Dermatology, Diabetes (type I - Juvenile), GI (Bowel, Stomach) Disorders, Gynecology, Heart Disorders, Immunology/Vaccines, Infectious Diseases, Kidney Disorders, Liver Disorders, Neurologic Disorders, Pulmonary/Respiratory Disorders, Sleep Disorders, Urinary Tract Disorders

Newborn mouth chattering
My little girl is three and a half weeks and I notice when i pick her up sometimes her mouth will chatter like she gets a chill. Is this normal for a newborn? Thank you!
Dear blondie12,

The chatter like movements that you describe is known as “jitteriness”.

Neonates have an immature nervous system which gradually develops as they grow. This might cause jittery movements in some infants for the first several weeks of birth.

If it is present occasionally since birth and your infant is otherwise healthy/active, I do not think this is something serious.

However, jitteriness can also be caused by some metabolic conditions such as calcium insufficiency. I would advise you to consult your neonatologist / pediatrician for a clinical examination of these movements to rule out metabolic conditions.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.  

Best Regards,
Dr. Santosh Kondekar
its more like a mouth quiver i guess and it only happens when I pick her up sometimes.
A related discussion, Infant was started.