Pediatrics Community
Oxygen levels in toddlers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Oxygen levels in toddlers

My grandson is 20  months old, Wednesday evening we took him to the emergency room. He had a terrible cough, they gave him 2 breathing treatments and they still heard a lot of wheezing and respiratory distress. They were concerned that his oxygen level was low (between 85 and 81) They admitted him into the hospital. Since first night they have been doing respiratory treatments every 4 hours. They also have him on a steroid medication,and a nasal decongestant. All day Thursday and Friday,he was getting oxygen per cannula, and his oxygen level was good,even when they took it off,   it stayed up around 94. However when he sleeps at night without the oxygen  his level goes back down. Today the nurses said his lungs were clear and they did not hear any wheezing, he does not need the oxygen during the day. My daughter and I noticed when he gets excited  or is playing around in the crib (without the oxygen on) his level flucuates back and forth.But when he goes to sleep  the oxygen level goes down.
I guess my questions are: 1. Is this dangerous for him? 2. What could be causing this?
hi my daughter is neally 2 and has suffered with an hyperinflated lung since she was 2 weeks old,she has been addmitted to hospital numerous times although touch wood since having the flu vaccine hasnt suffered as many colds.
She has been treated with oxygen many times and dont worry his oxygen levels reducing through the night is normal, i have questioned this on many occasions to be told that if they monitored our levels at night ours would do the same.
Although i would advise if you are still worried dont be affraid to ask as it is better to be safe than sorry and im sure they will have no problems in answering your questions good luck.
neivey:
Thank you so much for your words of comfort. My grandson came home tonight,he still sounds pretty bad, but the congestion seems to  mostly in his nose. The Dr. sent him home on a steroid medication and we are suppose to do his nebulizer every four hours till he sees his Dr. again.
good glad to hear he is home and steroids should clear things up as they are very effective,hopefully he shouldnt need them for too long.
Well from what I understand when you sleep your oxygen level can go down this is normal. your heart rate also slows down. Did your grandson have RSV? My son was only 5 weeks old and turning blue, he also has a heart issue and I took him to our ER and said it was just a cold even though is sats were low. I was told to follow  up with his primary doctor in 2 days I did and they looked at him and called 911. he was put on oxygen right then at the doctors office his oxygen level was only 70. normal oxygen levels should be 95 or above. they have even accepted 93 for him
I am glad he is doing better. I know what you are going through every time Cree Cree gets sick it is call 911 and he is in the hospital for at least 5 days. he goes into repiratory distress.
i can remembe when he was 5 weeks old and so sick he had RSV and after 15 days in the hospital(11 on a vent) we came home my 2 middle children were also sick I had to give the 3 younger boys their nebulizer treatments every 3 hours, and that ususally takes about 25 minutes per person to do.
gald he is doing better
Michele