Pediatrics Community
PLEASE HELP, 3 YEAR OLD LOOSING WEIGHT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

PLEASE HELP, 3 YEAR OLD LOOSING WEIGHT

my son was born early only by three weeks though he was fine at birth and gained weight initially very well... however has had ALOT of admissions to hospital for a variety of different things, mostly involving failure to thrive and bad chest/cough CONSTANTLY. hes nearly three and is in 12months clothes and weighs a mere 24lbs.... he is pale and constantly either hyper or sluggish, although he doesnt seem to need any sleep AT ALL... His bowel movements are very irregular, he passes HUGE stools that are solid and full of mucus and lots of different textures, how on earth he manages to pass it seases to amaze me, he can sometimes be trying for 2 hours!.. then on the other hand he has runny soft stools too..... he is VERY tactile and CONSTANTLY has to rub my skin with his hand and freaks out if I wont let him. his chest seems infected however doctors say that it is clear, however he has lots of mucus on his chest.... he also hardly ever asks for food.. and he eats hardly anything, when you try and encourage him to eat he gags on the food as if he is going to vomit... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can try changing his diet to a more high calorie diet, to get him to add some weight. You can add more butter to help with more calories. Pediasure can help with getting enough nutrients.

You say he gags... as if he doesn't like the food? or like he is physically unable to swallow? If he is having problems swallowing, he needs to be seen by his pediatrician soon.
he already has a very varied diet, he eats everthing, all meats veg fruit etc, i always add more butter and cream but it makes no difference,

with regards to the swallowing, he will eat some of his dinner (by some i mean a VERY small amount) then he will say he doesnt want it any more, and then he will gag...

does he complain of stomach pain, feeling sick, or anything?

I think it can be psychological, more so than anything physically wrong. He's using one power he know he can control, the not eating. There are many reasons as to why he can possibly be doing that, but that would be something to figure out.