Pediatrics Community
Pain in Left Side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Pain in Left Side

My daughter is 15 years old. She came home from school yeaterday complaining of severe pain in her left side, just below the breast. The pain appears to be throbbing to stabbing and she states it is impossible to take a deep breath, impossible to stretch, impossible to make any sudden movements. I had her relax with a heating pad last night and she was able to get to sleep. However, when she awaoke this morning, she states the pain is still there. When I was her age,my parents took me to the doctor because the left side pain was so great I could not take a deep breath nor could I stand up straight. The doctor said it was growing pains, but I could not find anything online concerning growing pains in the truck of the body, only arms and legs. Additionally, my pain only lasted an hour at the most, hers is going on 24 hours now. Any ideas as to what this could be? and what I can do to help her feel more comfortable?
I get pains like that still... mine is due to out of place vertabrae. So what happens is if th epain is really severe than, take some tylenol or advil... wait about 30 minutes. Still wil be painful... thenlay on one side and with the leg on toplift it up as if to go into a fetal position..put hand of the arm on the bed on the knee of the leg that is bent. Twist away from the knee... then repeat on other side. You may feel a pop in the spine. But you must fight through the pain. It will become more intense as the POP is about to happen. (this is an actual excersis from spine specialists). If that dont work you can try stretching to the side as far as you can go and try to go a little further... THe pain will hurt but move through the pain. Do on both sides. Also try leaning backwards to stretch the muscles in the front. This does help. For me anyway, when I get those pains. Or you can also try a hot bath and let relax in there for at least 15-20 minutes... get out and stretch....and repeat again a couple of hours later. I hope that helps out.
i would take her to the dr.  severe pain needs to be investigated.  it could be muscular but she may also  have pneumonia.
Hi, I'm an 18 year old female, and I have always had a terrible shock of pain on the upper left side of my body. Lately, it was been getting worse, but it only lasts a few seconds, and then goes away for a few mins, and then returns. I don't know what its caused from, I'm trying to find out, I am very worried
I would suspect IBS.  Reduce the amount of milk and dairy products in her diet.