Pediatrics Community
Please help!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Please help!!

My daughter is 6 and for the past 2 months she has been complaining of stomach pain in her belly button and then spreading through her belly. She said it feels like someone is putting rocks on her belly and someone is punching her in the stomach. We took her to the dr and got an xray and there was alot of stool and gas visible on her xray. She is very regular and goes 2 times a day like clock work. They are stuck on her just being constipated and thats it. I think it is something more than that and now today her belly is very distended. What should I do?
If they believe she is constipated what treatment did they suggest to you .If the stool is there on the xray I would say she needs some meds to help move it.Miralax is often prescribed .Try the probiotics first they do work and they make tasty puddings and yoghort so kids like them .Does she get a diet of fruits and veggies , cereals for bulk.?
if she is visibly distended and is in a lot of pain i would say go back to the doctor! better you ask than for something serious to be happening and to have ignored it. perhaps she is just plugged up and its making her bloated but as a mother i would worry about this too and i would go back. a walk in, er or the doctor, whoever will see her first. something else to consider is what her bm's look like, is she throwing up? is she in constant pain? does kids tylenol help? hopefully if it is just constipation that some stool softeners help things.
good luck, i hope your girl is up and playing soon!
My son had this issue as well and he too had regular bowel movements.  At one point, he was compacted in his bowel to the point that it acted almost like a bowel blockage.  He was distended, had severe pain and began vomiting.  X rays at the hospital showed . . . poop!  They gave him an enema which brought on much relief for him.  

We've not had to take medication for his issues thus far----  we looked at his diet and he is a big milk drinker/dairy eater and we just decreased it a bit.  We added in grape juice every day and increased his fresh fruit a bit.  

The night we went to the hospital with the bowel issue, my son had had a bm!  

I think if she is distended today and in pain, I'd call the doctor now and get a plan together.  good luck and let us know how it goes!
Thank you everyone for all your help. Another look at her xray showed that was completely full of stool from top to bottom. he has only been taking the miralax and the ped said to just continue it until she is regular, however, she is regular. I have made a dr appt with the peds gastro dr for her to see what is causing her to get backed up like that. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all of you help and suggestions!
Try grape juice too----  it has really helped my son.  I have a friend that gives their child baby food prunes and calles it pudding (removes it from the jar).  It doesn't taste bad.   And prunes are well known for helping the gi tract.  Try to stay away from milk and dairy in excess-----  and also bananas and apples can be constipating.

My son really had an issue with this and was the same as yours----  he did have a bm once or twice a day.  He's much better for the past 6 months or so.  

My son had one major enema given and this cleaned him out.  It helped.

good luck and do keep us posted!