Pediatrics Community
Retinal astrocytoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Retinal astrocytoma

My 9 yr old who has no medical problems had an eye exam to see about contacts (he has myopia). The ophthalmologist saw an abnormality and referred him to a retinal specialist who looked at and concluded it is "most likely" a retinal astrocytic hamartoma. I have read that these are associated with a condition called tuberous sclerosis but my child has no other findings to suggest he has this.  Has anyone else seen or heard of this and should I be concerned other than he has a suspected congenital defect?
You may get a better answer on the eye care forum ,go back to the forums page and look down the list for Eye Care forum good luck