Pediatrics Community
Rosy Cheek

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Rosy Cheek

My 4 month old daughter has a really bad diaper rash, i put rash cream on everytime i change her, but it just keeps getting worse. She also has had diarrhea 3 or 4 times a day and just her right cheek is red on her face. she just had her 4 month immunizations about a week ago and we started her on rice cereal a week ago. I am calling her doctor first thing in the morning. Any suggestions on what this could be before I call?
The only thing I would change is the rice cereal.  It's awfully early for that, my pedi told us not to feed anything solid until 6 months, and it might be giving her the diarrhea.  The doctor will be able to tell you if it is Fifth Disease or something else, and can prescribe something for the diaper rash.  Good luck.
it could be a number of things sounds like teething to me but yes i agree speak to your doctor
Thanks! I had her on rice cereal because she was a bit underweight. She gained enough though, that I'm sure my doctor will agree she can be taken off of it.
My sister-in-law started her son on cereal early, and he ended up with terrible excema on his cheeks that kept getting infected. It was awful. One of the reasons they recommend waiting until 6 months is because of allergies. If  your little one is truly underweight, you can ask your pediatrician about concentrating her formula to 24 cal/oz, instead of the standard 20 cal/oz. If she is breastfed, then continue with that. It's a misconception that cereal in an infant will help with weight gain. It actually takes up room in their tiny tummies, and they get less formula or breastmilk than they might need, and at her age, this is more important. Technically, children can survive on formula or breastmilk alone until 12 months of age. Eating during the first year is more for practice than it is for nutrition. Hopefully by removing the cereal, this will relieve the diaper/facial rash, though it may take a couple of weeks to get it out of her system. Good luck!
mamawith is right; rice gives worse nutritional value than formula or breast milk, and fills the child's stomach to the exclusion of food that is more nutritious.  (She might even have gained weight 'despite' the rice than 'because of' the rice, or simply because you were so focused on being sure she was eating a lot.)  In any case, since you are saying she doesn't need it any longer, do take her off it and see if things clear up.  All the best!