Pediatrics Community
SICK BBY

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

SICK BBY

hi my bby is 11 months for the past 4 days, he has been throwing up every thing .i took him to the ER TWICE ,all they say,is that it is a virus. they gave him zofran . realy didn't help actualy today when i thought that he was fine i just took time to observe him .i have been givin him pedialyte from day one that ,is the only thing he retains, today  i gave him pedialyte all day he haven't vomiting ,by 2 pm some puree  @ 4pm a bit of orange juice  he was fine we went for a nape .he did not throw up . keep in mind that for for days he has been vominting at least 5 times a day, he has  no fever. well @ 7pm i figure out that since he is better i should give him milk. took it ok went to bed ,after 1 hrs he started to throw up again know i'm asking my self if the milk is making him sick ?   i give him enfamil and he has been passing on gas every mn . thanks to you all and have a good one
Yes I would say he may be intolerant to the milk , so I would stop giving him it to see if the throwing up subsides .A child younger than a year should go onto formula but over a year may be given Rice milk ,you can make is yourself .almond milk is another possible .
I have been reading further and I see rice milk may not be suitable ..I think the best think you should do is take him to the doctor and get information from him,
THANX margy thanx alot i just left  the doc office i'm sitting i  my house crying i know something is rwong wiht my bby i just don't know what and i'm tired of doctor telling me that it is a virus and that it will go away  by him self i did ask the doc to do some culture he say no i want some test to be done, it seeme like i'm powerless my son is losing weight having diarrhea,not eating for the pas 5 days n all i have is doctor's telling me that it is a common virus.
It is also very very possible this is just a virus.  It is likely that the puree, juice and pedialight were tolerated well, but it's not uncommon for dairy to not be well tolerated with a virus.  The lack of fever doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

Virus' can last quite some time.  And the symptoms you describe are dead on for a virus.  Unfortunately not much can be done except wait it out.  Weight loss is not uncommon as they often cannot tolerate much in the way of food.  It's important to keep them well hydrated and it does pass.

It's always good to continue to check in with your Dr. as mommy instinct counts for more then just about anything else.  I remember the first virus like this my son had (he is now 3).  Scared the heck out of me, and I was so frustrated that no one could do anything.  Rest assured it did pass, but unfortunately with little ones, it is the first of probably many he will have.  The first one is so scary, but they do get better.  Take good care.
I am sorry I do understand how scary it is when your baby is sick, I think that he is allergic to the milk so if you have to demand some tests , see another doctor if you have to , go with your gut which is telling you it could be the milk One other thought how much pedialyte are you giving him ?.
It certainly could be a mik allergy or intolerance issue, however, according to my Pediatrician, that issue typically appears shortly after they start milk or dairy products.  Was the baby on formula?  That typically contains milk products as well, and if baby tolerated that ok, chances are he is ok (which is such a good thing...milk allergies and intolerances are tougher to manage, although certainly doable).  This may be why your Dr. thinks it's a virus.  But of course, your Dr. is the expert, and understands the symptoms better then we do.  Whatever the case, I sure hope your little one is all better soon.  Take good care.
thanx guys for your support  he is not there yet but much better i saw a Doctor  who is running some test .