Pediatrics Community
Severe Myopia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Severe Myopia

My Son was a 24 week preemie a year ago today and is doing amazing.  Our only concern are his eyes.  He did have stage 3 ROP Plus and received the Avastin injections, which worked amazingly.  We have been following up with a ophthalmologist specializing in pediatrics as well as a retina specialist ( the one who performed the avastin). We always knew that he would need glasses and would probably be nearsighted but were upset when 2 months ago ( he was about 6 months corrected) our Dr. said he had Myopia at a -4.50 in both eyes and needed glasses.  My son did fine with wearing glasses and they didn't seem to bother him at all. Our follow up appointment would be for two months out.  We were at our follow up appointment last week and received some more upsetting news that his Myopia has gotten worse and is now at a -9.0 in both eyes with an astigmatism of +1.00.  We are very concerned for his eyes being so young (8 months corrected) and already having high myopia. We have updated his lenses and continue to follow up with his Dr.  I Know part of the reason for the major change is because he went through a growth spurt, but i also know he has a lot more growing to do, so how much worse will his eyes get? Is it true his eyes stop growing at the age of 2? I know there is not a lot of research out there, but i have done some research and i have heard of a child as young as two getting refractory surgery (Artiflex). Is that a possibility? If so where is the best place to go as well as the best Dr to see? We are willing to go any where if it means my son will get the best treatment. Any information will help.
I am going to refer you to the eye care forum on Med help ...we have two fine doctors on that forum a John Hagen MD and a Ray Oyakawa MD they will I have no doubt have some information to help you with your son eyes..Good luck  
Thank you I just posted it on the eye care forum
I see you posted it on the expert forum I meant the regular eye care forum on the left of the forums page ..but you may also get input on the experts ..
I just posted it there as well the more people that can see it the better.  Thank you for your help
I just realised your child is 1 year old today ?If I understood that correctly congratulations , 24 weeks was very small , sounds like he is doing okay apart from his eyes .I wish you well I hope you get some answers .
I bumped your post up on the eye care forum as they dont always see it, ..hope you get an answer
Hi im not sure about nearsighted but my son is very long sighted +7.50   ans asigmatisim of + 1.5 and as far as i understand childrens eyes are still developing untill about aged 8 or 9 so there is still alot doctors can do up untill that age.  

My son also have a very lazy eye and has had a patch for the last year for 3 hours a day. there was about 6 lines difference with the vision in each eye when they first started not there is only about three.  unfortunatly for us they think it is now probably at the best they will get it, which again unfortunatly for him means no 3D vision.  But they are trying another 3 months to see if they can push his eye to its full potential

but with aid of his glasses he is a happy lively sporty 5 year old so many children wear glasses these days,  in fact many of his friends keep asking if they can get glasses too.  its also possible to get swimming glasses and special sports glasses although its abit harder when they are tiny.

your son sounds incredably strong to have  been born so early and do so well. good luck and hope he gets on  ok