Pediatrics Community
Sick little girl

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Sick little girl

My daughter is 3, was hospitalized with an illness, presumed a massive infection, that they couldn't find last week for 4 days.  Labs came back very weird.  They did a UA and most of it was normal but her ketones were 100 with normal being 0-9 mg/dL and her protein was 50 with normal being 0-9 mg/dL.  There was also trace leukocyte esterase.  We meet with an infectious disease specialist next week so any ideas of why her UA would yield these results would be helpful to me.  There were also blood tests done that came back abnormal so if those results would help explain the UA results I'd be happy to share them as well.

Thank you.
Tags: sick, infections, results, test, help
Hm.  Well, first let me tell you that there is a doctor's forum you can go to by going to the above tool bar and hitting forums "as a doctor" is on the left side of the page.  This forum is primarily for members to try to help one another with the occasional doctor stopping.  So, just wanted you to know that I'm obviously not a doctor and if you would like the help of an expert, there is access to that here at med help.

Now, keytones in urine in blood can be caused but such things as starvation----  don't know if being sick and not eating for a few days would cause that or not.  Another possibility is diabetes.  

But I've also read that dehydration could cause these results.  

I'm glad you are meeting with an infectious disease doctor next week and I'm sure you'll get advice as to where to go/what to do next.  

The trace leukocyte esterase often means a urinary tract infection but surely they'd know that when she was in the hospital.  

Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of it all and find the right direction to go in.  Peace and luck!!