Pediatrics Community
Strep while already taking Amoxicillin?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Strep while already taking Amoxicillin?

My son has  been on Amoxicillin 875 mg 2x daily since Friday. It is Tuesday and he is complaining of sore throat and fever. I have another son who yesterday was diagnosed with strep. They gave him same med.  Can my son already on Amox. catch strep? Should I keep him out of school a day?
Oh yes, always keep a child WITH a fever home from school.  In fact, most schools have strict rules about that and don't want kids in school until they are fever free for at least 24 hours.  

Well, not sure.  Augmentin 875 is basically amoxicillin and clavulanate ----  which is often used to treat strep.  Perhaps the dosage of amox. wasn't high enough for that particular child.  

I would take him to the doctor to have the throat looked at.  I do think it would be odd for him to develop strep while on an antiobiotic used to treat it.  Perhaps he has some resistance to the augmentin (which is pretty rare) or needs a higher dose of amoxicillin to hit the strep.

good luck