Pediatrics Community
Swollen Eyes in Infant Son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Swollen Eyes in Infant Son

My 8-mo old son's eyes were exposed to hydrocortisone cream (0.5%) and his eyes are swollen, upper eye lids are red and he cannot open his eyes. We took him to ER last night and they said it could be conjunctivitis and prescribed an eye ointment which we put on this morning approx 5 hrs ago. He also got some benedryl last nite at ER. He still is not opening his eyes and the swelling seems to be a little less than last night. What do you recommend we do?
How do you mean his eyes were exposed to hydrocortisone cream, you mean someone put the cream on his eyes?Conjunctivitas is a different thing it is an eye infection .Did you tell the ER the baby got the cream in his eyes? If they still wont open you need to go back again and make sure they know what happened ...
Yes I told them about the hydrocortisone. I put the hydrocortisone on his body because he has sensitive skin and had a rash developing (which is what every doc has told me to do). He grabbed his belly and then rubbed his eyes. It took about five hours before any reaction even occurred which is why I'm not positive that it is the cream at all.
well maybe it could be pink eye(conjunctivitis) have you tried bathing with a cotton ball for each eye, some plain cool water.see if they open, are they sticky ? I expect the eye cream was an anti biotic cream ? if it continues its still worth taking him to see the doctor for more input ..good luck let us know how he is doing .