Pediatrics Community
To lift a newborn, what is needed more: arm strength or wrist strength?...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

To lift a newborn, what is needed more: arm strength or wrist strength?

I'm not weak but I need to strengthen my upper body. I would like to know, to lift and handle a newborn, would I need to strengthen my wrists more or my arms/upper body? This is not a question about being careful etc. Of course, handling a newborn you must be careful. I'm not talking about that.

I noticed the other day with my maltipoo who's 9 pounds - he was lying on his back and I went to lift him and, being that he didnt want to be lifted, he acted as "dead weight" and I felt he was a bit heavy for me. However, I was on my knees (playing with him) and he was on the couch, which was neck-high at the time because I was on my knees, so my grasp on him wasn't great at all. I then got up and picked him up fine.

Also, would you recommend specific exercise routines to help strengthen me, and recommended reps? Thank you.
hi..babies at this so small age are a dead weight...they rely on you..so its good your searching for answers as how to hold them...if you have a medical reason you cant then you should sort that out first of all. but if its just your scared incase you hurt him..then ask your family for help with this...newborn babies are so resillient in some ways but like china in others,....good luck..
I would say upper body , arm strength. resting babies head on upper arm and firmly holding along their back and 'tush'  arm and hand exercises with weights may help strengthen your wrists and arms ...