Pediatrics Community
What happens now after Lupron?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

What happens now after Lupron?

My daughter, who is turning 12 next week, was treated for precocious puberty with Lupron. Now that she finished treatment, I'm not getting any info on what to expect. We went to the endo when she was 8 because she had a bit of pubic hair. She was in the 95th % in height and far above in weight. (I am 5'9 and my husband is 6'2). She was at Stage II puberty with a bone age advanced over 2 yrs. Pelvic sonogram, adrenal sonogram. thyroid sonogram all normal. All bloodwork normal except for positive thyroid antibody (which we were aware of). The stim test (maximum FSH was 8.8, LH 1.5, the ACTH levels at baseline-normal, ACTH stim level was normal to very sightly elevated, nondiagnostic) She was given Lupron every 28 days which slowed her bone age advancement as well as he growth slowed a bit. She stopped the Lupron last May and has a bone age of about 13 ( she is turning 12 next week). She still is not looking very developed in the breast (although the Dr. said she is about stage III), no body odor, no acne.
She has grown very little in the past 7 months (about 2.5 cm). She has been in the 95th percentile for height since she was born, but she is about 5'4. He genetic potential would put her at about 5'10, but the Dr. says that since she was on Lupron and had advanced bone age, she might have already had it (although her curve has never really changed very much) and maybe she won"t really grow much more. She is about 95th % in height if you use her CA and 90% in weight. Can she still have a spike in her height? What should I expect?

This discussion is related to advanced bone age.
Hi, I can't see any response to this posting.  Did you receive any information?  Thanks.
I know you posted this several years back, so I'm hoping you still visit this site and respond.
I'm curious to know about your daughter's outcome.  My journey with my daughter is just beginning.
I must have set up an email alert for this conversation because it popped up this morning....  My daughter's experience was almost identical to the one posted.  Precocious puberty at 8, stopped Lupron at 13.  I am 5'7, my husband is 5'6.  Without the Lupron, my endo said she would cap out at about 5' tall.  She just turned 16 (in fact, today is driver's license day, UGH!) and is 5'6".  We believe she gained about 6" in height that she wouldn't have without the Lupron.  Prior to this experience, i didn't know that getting your period meant that your body sent a message to fuse your bones, and thus the potential for loss of height.  My one cautionary note is weight.  My daughter is on the heavy side and I wish I had managed that better.  Other than that, I haven't seen anything that would indicate any adverse side effects.  Lupron is very expensive so keep pushing your insurance to cover as much as possible.  In my opinion though, it was well worth it.  Good luck and please feel free to contact me.  It is a multi-year event and I never did find much information online, so I completely understand the questions and lack of answers and verification that what you are doing is the right thing.
Hi, Demimoncheri

Please let me know your decision.  I am in the same boat.  My daughter is 8 and her bone age is 10. She just began to develop her breast in end of Sept.  We went to see the endo middle of last month.  All the blood work is normal.  They want to watch her for 3 months.  However She grew 1inch last month.   We are going to see the endo tomorrow again.  I think we might need the Lupron shot as well.
Hi, Demimoncheri

Hi, P23

When you started the treatment, how old was your daughter's bone age?  how long did it take to have the bone age under control?

How much does it cost per shot without insurance coverage?

Lingling
Hi, my daughter was 8 and her bone age was 12.  My endo was looking to get it to within two years.  She took Lupron until she was 13.  My insurance did not cover the shots and they were $900 per month.  This was incredibly hard for us to come up with, but we did.  My husband switched jobs and the insurance covered about half after that.  I know it is a very tough decision.  The bone age will take several years for the gap to close.  However, you can stop the Lupron at any time.  On the growth, my daughter grew six inches in the year before starting Lupron.  My endo didn't like that either and we had to do a brain MRI also.  This can be a roller coaster and there is no easy answer about what is the right decision for your family.  I hope everyone has a great holiday!
Hi, P23

Thanks for getting back to me.  We went to see the endo yesterday.  She still wants to watch my daughter for a while.  She wants to repeat the blood work in Dec.  She did not think we need do a stimulation test or pelvic ultrasound.  She won't do the bone age test for another 9 months.  She said she is not concerned with my daughter's bone age since it is within 2 years of range.  She doesn't think the bone age test is that critical.  We will go back to see her in Jan.  

How tall were your daughter before she started the Lupron?

Have a great holiday.