Pediatrics Community
Whats wrong

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Whats wrong

I'M not sure where to put this so i guess here is better then any. My son is 5 years old.  When i was pregnant with him i had several ultrasounds because his legs kept coming up shorter then they should have been.  He was born at 39 weeks  he weighted 6lbs 4oz and 19.50 inches long.  He rolled over early, said sounds dada,baba, mama that type of things early.  He sat unsupported at 5 months  crawled at 7 walked at 10. None of his issues has ever been  the things he could do or how he moved.

At 5 weeks of age he was diagnosed with congenital heart defects. Arterial Septial defect, Coartation of the Aorta,  thickness of of aortic vaulve and mitrial vaulve. He gets check up every year and on his 4 year check up he was diagnosed with Left Ventricular Non-Compaction (LVNC).

By age one  he started losing words like mama. He pointed to much of what he wanted and wouldnt talk much.  We finally got the doctors at his office to let us see a special doctor im sorry im not sure exactly what type of doctor he was, except he saw children with things like ADHD. That doctor said he had low muscle tone, showed signs  Autisim,  hes very short for his age and said perhaps Williams Syndrome. We got a referral for childerns hospital.

After 9 months of waiting for that important day we were told she doesnt see any signs of Autisim. Said hes a little delayed in mental abilities, instead of being  3 year 11 months old mentally hes more of 2 1/2 mentally.   He was tested for williams syndrome and taht came back negeative and then they tested for every other genetic disorder and he came back negative.

Starting at age 3 he begain taking Speech therapy.  They said  he has a severe language problem with Receptive and Expressive Language.  He speaks sentences now with no problem, but were still not sure how much he actaully understand that we tell him. He can not pay attention he wont sit still when we ask him to. He wont read one book,play one game, watch one show for longer then a minute or two.  He bounces off the walls it seems.

He has issues with behavior. He doesnt listen to a thing his dad or i say. He screams  and kicks and crys worse then his 2 year old sister.   He is in kindergarten and  the note we received from his teacher is as follows..

."He sits quietly at the carpet, now whether he is paying attention is not always clear.He is far behind the class in letter and sound recognition and other first quarter skills like positions, counting to 25, saying (not singing) the abc's. He also calls a rectangle a "door".  In the second quarter (which begins next week) I anticipate that X will struggle with patterns, (aabc, abbc, abcc), sequencing 4 pictures of a story, his birthday, right and left, days of the week, and sorting by shape (he didn't know what to do when I told him to sort by color either).  One of his major difficulties is with following multi step directions.  He sits right next to me and as long as I tell him one instruction at a time on a paper, he is ok.  He cannot work independently after hearing the instructions and seeing examples modeled at the carpet to the whole class.  Without verbal prompts,X would just sit quietly at his seat and do nothing or color randomly on the paper. "

That was  in a email i received from his teacher.

This is very frustrating  and were trying to get him help. Any help or advice  or point in the right direction were so greatful for.
It does sound very frustrating, I think you will find more input from our great Autism forum also we have child expert/Doctor forums, go back to the forums page on the left you will see the autism forum and on the right are the expert forums,good Luck
I am not too sure on autism, but I really didn't think they could test them until the  7.. I have 1 question does he have any  "brown" colored markings on his body at all? they are called cafe au lait marks...
it does sound like he might have aspergers syndrome, which is part of autism... but I am curious about to hear if he has cafe au alit marks... just because my son had the heart issue, speech delay, he was very motor delayed, has hard tme following more then 1-2 step directions and other thing, however he is at a age appropriate learning but with the reason I am questioning for the marks, he is going to be tested for noonans syndrome and your son has some of those features and not all of the symptoms are found in every case.. has he been tested for noonans?
,Michelle