Pediatrics Community
White Pupils in pictures of 6wk old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

White Pupils in pictures of 6wk old

In some of the photos we took today of our 6 week old, I've noticed that the vast majority both his pupils are white.  Naturally after spending some time searching the internet, I've completely freaked myself out and ill be bringing him to the GP.  We are due to see her on the 8th Jan however, I think we'll be seeing her before then.  My DH and I are planning on taking more photos tomorrow to see if it was caused by lighting.  Is there any other 'test' we can do ourselves to ease our panic?
Thanks!
I think you are right in having her eyes examined it may be nothing it it could be something like cataracts .White pupil is also called Corneal cloudiness...We have an Eye Care forum on Med Help you may want to put your question there for more answers. good luck let us know how it goes  
Are you saying it shows up on photographs but not in person?
Yes
If the  pediatrican and optometrist have both looked and found nothing, it may be advisable to trust their opinion; if you're suspicious ask them again or ask them to refer you to a specialist that may be able to explain exactly why it is happening.
Did you take another set and it showed up again?
Thanks Margypops.  
Hi Annie
Yes, we spent most of the next day taking photos of him :)) and there hasn't been any further sign of the white pupils.  

For peace of mind I would get him checked out, let us know what they say ..good luck
Well, take the photos where it does show up and the photos where it does not, and ask the doctor.  The kind of tumor that can be seen in flash photos of babies' eyes is quite rare, and presumably would show up in any flash photo, so you're probably safe, but take the photos along and show the doctor your concerns.  You might even print out the articles from the web that talk about babies with this kind of problem, so the doc can see what it is you're worried about and doesn't just write you off as crazy.  (He might write you off as looking on the Internet too much, but doctors are used to that.)  It's worth asking, but not worth freaking out.  Take care!
Many thanks for both your replies.  On Margy's earlier advice I posted my question on the Eye Expert Forum and received the following reply;

" Harder to tell with newborns as they don't look at the camera which is really the best angle to determine a white reflex that is pathologic. The angle of the picture could do that even in normal children. Just make sure your pediatrician feels comfortable examining the baby for a good red reflex and if not, have him refer you to a pediatric ophthalmologist to be sure all is normal."

I am going to take your advice too Annie and show all the photos to my GP.

Thanks again
Thank you Sunny for the update ...let us know what the opthalmologist says ...good luck