Whooping Cough
There has been an outbreak of Whooping Cough where I live.  I have a 2 month old daughter and I am concerned about her being exposed.  She received her first dose of the vaccine last week.  I am wondering how much this helps protect her from the disease.  Also, what are symptoms I should look out for? Thank you!
Yes, your daughter is protected (but double check with your doctor).  Babies are particularly vulnerable to the dangers of whooping cough.  That is why vaccinations are so very important.  People take for granted the diseases that the vaccinations protect children from.  In our area, there is a push for adults in a household to get a booster as well as we can be exposed and give it to our kids.  Check with your doctor on this.  

Whooping cough starts out like a cold with those types of symptoms---  runny nose, watery eyes, dry cough, congestion, maybe a mild fever.  Then after a bit of time of that, things worsen.  Faces can turn red or blue, vomiting can occur and the tell tale sign, the cough associated. This cough makes like a whoop sound as the child pulls in air.  

But if your daughter is up to date on her immunizations, she should be fine.  It's been in our area as well----  this resurgence of whooping cough.  
Take care and stay healthy----  and when in doubt, always check with your doctor.
Make sure your child has the vaccinations singly there is much controversy about them and giving children multiples is part of the problem, single vaccianations seem to work okay  I suggest you do some research regarding vaccinations so you get full information .
here is a link to get some information about multiples   www.thinktwice.com/multiple.htm      Vaccine reactions to several at once include seizures amongst others .Doctors will do them singly if you 'demand' it ..Good luck hope your baby is okay
Oh, I thought she was worried about her child catching the disease the vaccine was for.  I must have misunderstood.
Oh no, just re read it.  She's worried about whooping cough.  Well, thankfully to the poster, you've had your child vaccinated to protect her.  good luck
Thank you.  I did have her vaccinated, but she only received the first dose.  She still needs to get one at 4, 6, and between 15-18 months.  I just was wondering how much protection the first dose offers her. Thanks for your help.
I think she will be protected enough with the first dose, from what I have read .good luck .
Thank you!  I hope so, such a scary thing!
I believe she is covered for now with her immunity, as she gets older/bigger, she receives further doses in order to continue the protection.  You can check with your doctor to be sure but that is my understanding.  Good luck and here is to a HEALTHY baby!!  
I agree!  It is really scarey.  The diseases that vaccinations protect our children against are horrific and potentially deadly.  I'm thankful that we can give our kids protection. I have an 8 year old that just did a report on Jonas Salk, the dr. that came up with the first polio vaccine.  In reading about what times were like when that disease was terrifying the world, one can be nothing but thankful for what science has done to protect those we love.   Again, good luck to you and your daughter.
Yes it is a scary thing and good you are open minded in getting your own opinion regarding the vaccinations We all have opinions about this there is much research being done now regarding the interactions of the multiples again good luck to thats my last word ..lol.