Pediatrics Community
Why does my daughter have a large belly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Why does my daughter have a large belly

My daughter is 8 year old is 4'6" and weighs 103lbs.  She's big for her age as she towers over most of her 2nd grade classmates.  She is very active, practices softball 8 hours a week and tournaments on weekends.  When not in softball, she's playing basketball, riding her bike or jumping on the trampoline.  She does watch television but it's in the evenings about an hour before bed.  She has a big belly and I don't know what to do to help her get rid of it.  I do not keep sugary snacks in the house.  She eats pretty healthy.  We drink 1% milk, no fried foods, lots of low fat meats and plenty of fruits and vegetables.  I've been told maybe her metabolism is just slow, but how do I help her.  She's been a very healthy child.
Thanks,
A concerned Mom  
Well it's possible she's eating stuff you don;t know about. 103lbs seem like a lot for an 8 year old girl. I know when I was 12 and 5"7(haven't grown since) I was maybe 105lbs. I was super skinny though. Everyone is different. BUT if she's NOT eating unhealthy it DOESN'T mean she's NOT over eating.BUT IF you don't think that's the problem either, I would take to her DR. maybe theres something he/she can do to boost her metabolism. OR maybe theres something else health wise that it going on. I'd get her checked out. Could be a thyroid or something????>???
Since she is only 8, she appears to be very active and with a healthy diet.  I would not worry about it too much.  A lot of kids are a little "chubby" my son is one of them, but over the past 6 months or so, he has gotten taller and slimmed up quite a bit.
My daughter was overweight like that also.  She at a very healthy diet.  She wasn't a sneak eater.  Didn't ask for snacks.  I couldn't figure out why she was putting on so much weight.  After two years of styes and what turned out to be an autoimmune eye disease related to psoriasis, I started her on a gluten free diet (because my husband had psoriasis and the diet helped him).  Her eyes cleared up in two days and we haven't had a problem since then (that was 5 years ago).  But what also happened was weight loss.  Apparently she was one of those kids that gained weight with the gluten intolerance problem.  So that was a relief.  But as each year passed, she did start gaining some body fat, though not as bad as before.  I asked the pediatrician if she could try a low carb diet like the Atkins.  The doctor said that would be fine.  That seemed to do the trick.  She has a very low tolerance for carbohydrates.  She eats mostly veggies, minimal fruit and proteins and fats.
She uses soy wrappers instead of bread for lunch.   At your daughter's age, this diet would be tough for sure - it's tough at any age.  But if the weight issue is bothering her and the pediatrician seems to think it would be ok to try at her age, then maybe give the diet a try.  Or you can wait until she's older to see if she outgrows the problem.  Or wait until she's older to try the low carb diet.  Now the gluten free diet is not as hard.  The stores are stocking more gluten free foods these days.  Though I don't know if gluten is a problem for her, it's a pretty common food intolerance.  My brother had asthma and went on the diet for another reason and after one month on the diet, his asthma disappeared completely.  I hope this helps.