Pediatrics Community
after how many days of antibiotics are you no longer contagious?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Hi All,

We gave birth of two one month ago and got a new night nanny suggested by a friend.
She said was sick with throat infection and doctor gave antibiotics and she is already taking it for 5 days. She said she is 100% risk free for the babies. We got stressed about that.
After how many days of antibiotics are you no longer contagious? And if is/was a flu/cold?
We are afraid for the babies.
Thank you
Mark
It depends on what she had.  You could ask to talk to her doctor about it.
Yes, I think you should ask the doctor.  I feel like they are good to go if they have just something treated with antibiotic----  two days into it.  But if it is secondary to a virus, then longer is better.  Preschools usually say that they want kids to be done with their antibiotics but that is not realistic for 'real' school (kindergarten on).  good luck