aplasia cutis
My son was born with aplasia cutis. He has a small coin sized bald patch on the head. He is almost 4, is a great kid, happy, smart , terrible handsome and very sociable. Recently he asked me what is this thing he feels on his head when touching it. It doesn't seems to hurt him or bothering him. I was wondering just in case we ever consider surgery to remove the spot -  is there anybody who did surgery for their baby , what do you suggest: to do it at this early age or just to wait for him to decide. What are the possible side effects if doing surgery now, what do we expect ? thank for any suggestion.
My doc told me that in order for the bald spot to be removed on my head (I don't know the name of it, but I'll bet it's the same thing ... it's just basically a place where hair won't grow and is about the size of a quarter) I would need to wear a balloon under the skin to stretch the skin first, for about six to eight weeks, and then they could excise the round patch without putting too much pressure on the surrounding skin.  If it isn't done that way, he said, the skin with the scar will have a lot of pressure on it and the hair will open at the spot, so instead of having a round bald patch, I would have a long visible scar of stretched skin with stitches marks on either side, like a zipper, more visible than the round patch I have now.

This was the only time I ever spoke to a dermatologist about it.  Maybe things have gotten more modern and the excision doesn't need to be handled that way any more.  You could certainly ask a dermatologist.  It's not that big a deal to live with, though.
Just looked up aplasia cutis, and it is defined as the absence of epidermis, so possibly what your son has is not the same thing as what I have after all.  When my dermatologist showed me a picture of what I have, he said it's common, the name just means something like "skin where hair doesn't grow."  The aplasia cutis you mention sounds like it is more rare.  But even so, probably my derm's comments about making a long incision to remove a round spot still relate to your son's issue.  Frankly, it doesn't give you problems to have a small spot on the head where hair won't grow ... the rest of the hair just covers it up.
Our son had surgery for aplasia cutis at age 8.This was because he was getting sunburnt on his "bald spot".It basically involved cutting a flap of skin below and folding it over and stapling it.He is now left with a lenthy scar,as he is approaching his teenage years and is more aware of his appearance we are looking at things like a hair transplant.I remember this being a scary experience when I first saw the ulcer like spot as he was being born.I will post if/when we get the next stage completed for him.The other option may be a ponytail but were they ever fashionable for a teenage boy?lol
Hi my son has the same problem we removed the bumpy spot when he was 11 months old,now he has a long almost 2 inches by 1/2" bald spot on hid head and I think getting larger as he grow,I am searching with any possibility for him I really do not leave him with this bald spot on his crown,please please share with me if you found any solution for your son I will not loose my hope and continue research,my email is ***@**** thank you very much and hope god help our sons:)