Pediatrics Community
breathing problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

breathing problems

I have a granddaughter that is 3 yrs old. she has had a history of respiratory infections/asthma (no one is too sure) sinece she was a baby. Her tonsils and adnoids were twice the size and she couldnt eat hardly, her voice was deep and she snored loudly. she would have a fever for awhile during the evening/night, then be gone in the morning.
she finely had surgery to remove the adnoids and tonsils and this helped greatly. But she still has breathing issues, 1st she usually gets a light cough. then she develops shortness in breath and labored breathing. she dehydrates quickly and is usually at the ER quite frequently for this. She is usually given a steroid breathing treatment and it helps for a while. the doctor said that she gets sick quicker than any other child she sees in her office.  
could this be Asthma or an immune deficiancy possiably. should she be seen by a expert in this field? Her doctor said as long as she keeps getting better with the steroid treatments each time that she don't feel seeing a specialist is necessary at this time. Would like a second opinion.
Hi there, I have a few questions. first of all with her "breathing" (I know this is going to sound REALLY strange) but where is the noise coming from? (I will tell you why in a second) and 2nd has anyone checked to see if her immune system is low.
okay her breathing, my now 5 year old has had breathing problems since the day he was born. his cardiologist keeps saying it is asthma, yes he does have that but this wasn't it and I could convince him of that. finally after all of these years and seeing 2 pulmnologist who agreed it wasn't asthma said go see an ENT. the noise was coming from his throat.it is called stridor. every single time he gets a cold we rush him to the ER. shots for opening his airway. I would at home try this prednisalone and 2 nebulizer medications before bringing him in. not good. FINALLY the ENT said he has a narrowing of his throat and when he gets sick it is going to get worse. so we are prepared for him getting sick and the endless trips to the ER, hopefully when he gets older they can stretch his airway but can't right not too close to voice box.
also he kept getting sick croup, pneumonia and everything that goes around he got. Allergies they said. tested nope however the allgergist did blood work and found his immune system was low and ordered him to have a booster of DTAP and pnumovac (not sure of the spelling) he was doing great for 1 1/2 years but now he is back to catching everything, even chicken pox. so I want to get him tested again.
the fact she gets sicker could be because of the steroids she is on all of the time
this is just a thought, good luck and I hope you can get answers,
Michelle