Pediatrics Community
children

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

children

My 10 month son was diagnosed with moderate fetal impaction. He has regular bowl movement up to 4 times a day. What could cause this condition except constipation which he never had.
Thank you
Hi, believe it or not, my son also had stool that was impacted and went to the bathroom daily.  Does your son go little bits when he has to go?  Are they kind of in pieces?  Not trying to be gross . . .  but that was the case with my boy and he was in fact actually constipated.  Constipation means a little more than not going regularly.  We have been to the hospital due to the stool situation as it stared to work as a blowel blockage.  He was given an enema which did clean him right out!  He was actually relieved.

For us, we then changed his diet and he would drink some grape juice daily (and often bought the kind with fiber or calcium added), increased his fresh fruit intake, I make fruit smoothies, we increased his drinking water. and even got some baby food prunes which I put in a bowl and told him was purple pudding (it actually tastes pretty good).  

We decreased his dairy intake.  My kid is a dairy boy---  LOVES his milk, yogurt and cheese.  So, he gets a bit less.  

That really has worked for us along with a fiber rich diet and lots of exercise.  

One thing I wonder about though----  my son had his worst episode ever the week after being on antibiotics.  Neither my kids have ever gotten loose stools from antibiotics but that is a common side effect.  I always wondered if he had such a bad episode of being impacted had anything to do with the antibiotics.  ???  I'll never know.  He's had antibiotics since then without any such issues but wonder about that.  

good luck