Pediatrics Community
enlarged thyroid in 12 week old preemie
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

enlarged thyroid in 12 week old preemie

My son was born almost 4 weeks early (@36 weeks and 3 days), by emergency C-section b/c there was lack of movement.  He spend 5 days in the NICU b/c of hypoglymia; he could not maintain his blood sugar.  This last weekend we had a trip to the ER b/c of a high fever (101.7); the dr's took a chest X-ray, blood work, etc.  The following morning the doctor got a better look in his ear and said that it was infected.  They put him on antibiotics and is doing much better now.  His chest x-ray came back abnormal b/c of what they think is an enlarged thymus.  They did a repeat chest x-ray the following day and the results were the same.  They wanted to dig further to make sure it was an enlarged thymus and not a mediastinal mass of somesort.  He had a CT scan done and the radiologist still thinks that it is an enlarged thymus.  My question is what could be the cause of this, is this something that I should be worried about and should I have a follow up CT scan or X-ray later down the road.  My son is thriving, he has doubled his birth weight and seems to be doing well; but in the back of my mind I am still concerned.  Is this normal to have a 12 week old baby, who was born @ 6.1lbs and now is 12.2lbs, to have an enlarged thymus?  He has never been on any steriods either.
Any suggestions and answers would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Erin