Pediatrics Community
fetal hydronephrosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

fetal hydronephrosis

hi
i am 31 years old and am expecting my first baby on the 24th july 2010.it is a precious baby through ivf.at the 16th week ultasound the baby was diagnosed with  mild bilateral pylectesis measuring 4-5mm.got an amminocentisis done,which showed normal fetus by GOD'S GRACE!at the 33 weeks scan the pylectisis increased to hydronephrosis measuring 2.1cm.now i am due for the next scan at 36 weeks in another 3days.i am really scared and worried about the wellbeing of my baby. please help!
Sorry to hear about the complications, though it isn't all that uncommon for this to happen. It's good that they are monitoring it well. If it continues to be considered mild, there isn't anything to do and many times it will correct itself. Otherwise if it is more severe, after the baby is born they will give the baby antibiotics to help and more imaging studies to see if surgery is necessary. Though don't stress too much about this. The problem can correct itself on its own. Good luck.
thanks a lot for your concern sweetpea.
hi
also i just forgot to mention that the hydronephrosis is now unilateral ever since the 23 rd week of pregnancy.hope GOD is listening to my prayers for the well being of the baby!