Pediatrics Community
low oxygen levels in toddler

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

low oxygen levels in toddler

My 2 year old nephew was admitted to the hospital with oxygen levels in the low 80's.  After about 36 hours of oxygen treatments, they haven't been able to get the levels up.  Any ideas?
The hospital also told them he is a "carrier" of strep, though he doesn't have strep throat right now.   Has anyone ever heard of that?

I've heard of people being carriers of strep, that isn't too uncommon, though I can't think of much for the reasons why his oxygen levels would be low. I'm sure they've probably done the typical tests, like a chest xray to see if there is blockage. Usually for breathing problems they'll put the patient on antibiotics, steroids, Albuterol to help. Hope he gets better soon. good luck.