Pediatrics Community
my 4 yr old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

my 4 yr old

what is a supra umbilical hernia
Supra-umbilical hernias are less common than umbilical hernias ,they occur as a defect above the above the umbilical ring.Umbilical hernias close by 3 years of age, Supra umbilical hernias do not and require surgery.How old is the child and has the hernia increased in size.?  Has the pediatrician of the child suggested surgery to you .?.
my daughter is 4 years old and they did suggest surgry on it I have just never heard of it and the surgry said that the supra umblical hernias don't close on their own and my daughter kept complaining that her stomach was hurthing and I have been tellin her dr this for a year or so and they did surgry on here on the 29th.  I believe it had increased in size b/c i could feel the whole myself.
So she is recovering from having the surgery that's good news, yes I agree its odd isnt it they can get bigger as your child's did , the umbilical ones close them selves ..Good luck
Thanks. I was just concerned that I might have done the wrong thing.  I just really freaked out when she was in recovery and how she was acting I guess its b/c she's so little that she don't react the same way that us adults do.
How do you mean, how  was  she reacting?
they put her in my lap b/c she was still somewhat waking up and it took her 45 min to get to phase 2 of recovery and while sitting on my lap she was all floppy she couldn't keep her head up. I never seen anyone act like that before.
Get you and can see you would be concerned ,it may have been that she was still waking up  I think that you have to ask your pediatrician whether there may be any problems .If they told you they had to close the hernia then you couldn't have done the wrong thing in having the surgery, it is always done for the supra umbilical hernia which doesn't close by itself...