Pediatrics Community
non-flavored children's tylenol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

non-flavored children's tylenol

Hello, I was just curious if there is anything out there such as children's tylenol that does not have a flavor?  My daughter has had a cough, runny nose and a fever of 101 for the past two days.  I'm sure it is just a cold but I do plan on calling her doctor in the morning.  I cannot get her to take any medication.  She is only 5 yrs old.  I have even tried hiding meds in her drinks but she tastes a difference and refuses to drink it.  I want her fever to go away before it gets too serious but how can I if she won't take the tylenol.  So I figured if it didn't have a flavor that it would work.  She doesn't even like the ones that taste like candy and grapes.
Tags: tylenol
I have never seen unflavored Tylenol. Are you trying to give her liquid or chewables? Fevers don't always have to be treated. The job of a fever is to fight an infection. Of course, there's always the risk of febrile seizures, but if she's never had one by age 5, you're probably pretty safe. If she's genuinely uncomfortable and feeling miserable, and won't take oral Tylenol, you can always opt for a suppository. Speak with your pharmacist. Good luck. Hopefully she'll be feeling better in no time.
Thanks for the response.  I am trying to give her the liquid type.  She refuses the chewables also.  I am starting to think she has an ear infection because she is complaining it hurts now.  So I am trying to get her into the doctors tomorrow.
I'm dealing with the same thing myself and talked to the advice nurse about these things just today.  Here is from what she told me.  Your daughter doesn't need Tylenol for a fever of only 101.  The only reason to give her a medication given the symptoms you described is if she is so uncomfortable that she is not sleeping.  The fever is produced by the body to kill the virus or bacteria, so trying to bring it down is counterproductive (unless it's over 104 degrees).

Good luck!   Does your health system have an after-hours advice nurse line?  It's a lifesaver in reducing parental distress.