Pediatrics Community
normal size for 8 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

normal size for 8 year old?

My son is 8 years old and is about 50lbs and 46in tall. He also is just now wearing size 13 (youth) shoes where his classmates are wearing 3s, 4s and larger. I suppose that we started to notice that he was on the short end for his size at about 4-5 but now he is markedly shorter. I should mention that his father is 5'10" and I am 5'5". Yes, I know that we are not big people, but we are very similar in height to most of my son's classmates - and, other than an Asian female in his class, he is a whole head shorter that most of his classmates. In addition I have started to wonder if his penis size is also abnormally small for his age... We recently had another baby boy and his genitalia looks identical to my 8year olds - in other words - it looks like there has been no growth whatsoever. I haven't actually had him let me stretch it out and measure it...  he is already sensitive about being so short, I don't want him to have any doubts about another part of him! When he was 5ish his ped thought that he could not feel one of his testicles and referred us for an ultrasound at Children's. We went and were told that they could see it and that it was not undesended, just high up. What do you think the issue could be?