potty training
I have a 14 month who we...(I)... are beginning to potty train. I set him on it every 30 min and say pee pee. How long should he sit? Am I doing this right?
Just for a minute or 2 and when he does make a pee pee or poo, make a HUGE deal and he will catch on quick. If he doesn't mind sitting, he can even stay on longer while watching tv or something
I'm not sure how it's "supposed" to be done, but with our daughter, we didn't do anything until she showed/expressed interest. Then, we bought a little plastic potty and would suggest it when she got "that look" on her face. That's probably why the time between buying the potty and her being dry all day, including naps was about 6 months! I've heard the typically boys don't potty train until 2.5-3 years old so 14 months sounds very young to me!
I even gad a squirt gun an 'peed' on the big pot then 'strained' and dropped candy in the pot to make poo for visual lol it only took a week for my first born at 12mos then I didn't do any of this for my 2nd when he was 16mos and it took 2mos to catch on. It's gna depend if he's showing signs of being ready or not as well
We have a potty that sings if it is used. I figure with that and me being over excited he will love it. One thing tho. How do u get him to stop trying to "play" with it when ur trying to have him go?
I love those ideas!!!
Lol I had a hard time woth that too. They get so amazed about something that looks like a fountain coming from their bodies. I just tried to keep their hands away but it didn't always work, so I'd let them aim it by just putting one finger to push down. Now I have the prob where they are trying to aim on the big potty(they can finally reach the floor, so no more sitting backwards) and they try to put a fire out. I swear that's what they're thinking with the directions they make it go
Wait I reread that and it can still help to 'aim' with a finger but at first I thought u meant the pee itself as it came out. Just try to kee those lil hands busy with a book or toy, although it is very difficult bc my boys still try to time to time n it freaks me out
My sister just let her son walk around naked... he hated the feeling of pee running down his leg and it only happened twice before he wanted to use the big potty! Then she did a rewards system so if he went so many times without an accident he would get a toy or something special. It only took her a couple weeks I believe to pott trian him and that included bed time too. For naps she would allow him to get up 1 time if he said he had to potty or bedtime also.
Lol!!why did they sit backwards? He went, yea!, but was tired of being in there so when I started getting excited he started crying so I let him up and gave him a piece of candy. Is that bad? It was the 3th time i took him. On an every 30 min schedule. Is candy bad to reward? He was crying and I wanted him to know I was proud...
I didn't ever use a small potty bc they didn't want to, so they'd sit on the reg one backwards. It made them feel safer like they weren't gna fall in, if it didn't go straight in, the pee would be much easier to clean off the seat instead of floor, and I figured it was one step closer bc they were already adjusting to facing that way, all they needed to do was learn to stand when they got tall enough. Several people give candy or a sticker. I never did bc I thought they'd expect it every time and would stop using the potty when I decided they didn't need rewarded, but I think if he was crying it scared him and the candy can be used until he knows its a good thing to use the pot