Pediatrics Community
searching for more info about hydrocephalus and shaken baby syndrome di...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

searching for more info about hydrocephalus and shaken baby syndrome differences

My son was diagnosed with shaken baby syndrome but his dad, the accused, was never arrested due to lack of evidence.I still have doubts that he did it 4 years later because my son looks and acts normal after all the therapies hes undergone.He had a unusually large head before the incident but tests were never ordered by the pediatrician.My son nearly died and I need to find the truth.Can hydrocephalus in turn of the swelling, cause seizures,retinal hemmoraging and bleeding on the brain?
Hi there.  Well, this is a complex question.  Basically, one key thing about hydrocephalus is that it can be diagnosed.  As you say you still look at your son's head and wonder if he has this condition and yet is not diagnosed---  certainly it would be by now.  My friends son has hydrocephalus and there were things that made them get checked involving things like eye movement, etc.  He now has shunts.  

Infants do have many well checks.  If your son was showing signs of hydrocephalus---  and routine head measurements are taken---  ???  Don't know if he had this condition or not but am thinking that baby well checks are pretty thorough or at least should be.  

At this late date after, I'm not sure what you can do to find the truth.  What is in the investigation that was conducted?  what did doctors say at the time?  Your husband maintains his innocense but who wouldn't?  

I'm not sure you'll ever know the truth and that is quite a burden to live with.  I'm very sorry about that.  peace to you and I'm glad your son is doing well!